+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Free Meraki AP in Technical; Originally Posted by staningrimsby I have one to, put it in the staff room and its better than whats already ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by staningrimsby View Post
    I have one to, put it in the staff room and its better than whats already there but not good enough for a classroom,
    looking at trying Ruckus in the classrooms though for a start its half the price and if its as good as they say it is.

Only got mine about 3 weeks ago and yes you still get a 3 year licence with it.
    Don't compare the MR12 with the likes of ruckus etc - you may as well compare it to your home router (single radio etc)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They still don't care enough about NZ to offer the same deal so I don't care enough about them to bother finding out more about them. Ruckus all the way!!! you get your very own controller to which means your not crippled by loosing an internet connection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    They still don't care enough about NZ to offer the same deal so I don't care enough about them to bother finding out more about them. Ruckus all the way!!! you get your very own controller to which means your not crippled by loosing an internet connection.
    That seems to be the mis-conception - if you lose your internet connection you don't lose functionality of the system. You can configure what the device does if it cannot talk to the controller, either reject new connections etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    That seems to be the mis-conception - if you lose your internet connection you don't lose functionality of the system. You can configure what the device does if it cannot talk to the controller, either reject new connections etc.
    Yea, you still loose some functionality, at least the advanced stuff. Ruckus/Aruba etc are just better in that regard and they ship to NZ

Thank Post
    I have been playing with the MR12, going to deploy it in a staff room with a couple of clients. I am trying to use the portal but its not working, I have 1 SID which I can connect to and browse but it takes me straight into the smoothwall SSL page and no splash screen, the MR12 has this facility doesn't it?

With regards to support, first impressions aren't the best. Phoned up 3 times now, last night they said they logged a call and hadn't, today called up and the phone was silent for 4 minutes befiore being transferred to the USA to a nice lady who wanted me to have a great day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I have been playing with the MR12, going to deploy it in a staff room with a couple of clients. I am trying to use the portal but its not working, I have 1 SID which I can connect to and browse but it takes me straight into the smoothwall SSL page and no splash screen, the MR12 has this facility doesn't it?

With regards to support, first impressions aren't the best. Phoned up 3 times now, last night they said they logged a call and hadn't, today called up and the phone was silent for 4 minutes befiore being transferred to the USA to a nice lady who wanted me to have a great day.
    Yes the Unit has the ability to display a splash screen but they are hosted in the Meraki Cloud hence the reason why its displaying your smoothwall page because it is trying to access the internet.

Toby

Thank Post
    Ah right thanks. I will have to rethink how I can use it then. I am swinging towards Meraki.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    Ah right thanks. I will have to rethink how I can use it then. I am swinging towards Meraki.

Could you not put the information from the Meraki Splash Screen on the Smoothwalls?

Thank Post
    I suppose I could. I just watched a video on youtube about the meraki system where it logs users onto different VLANS and Sids depending on their AD username they put in the splash screen which was what I was looking for. The whole cloud thing is brilliant in theory but I am not convinced its the way I want to go.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12