+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Ralink RT 3290 & 3295 wifi card in Technical; having lots of WiFi issue with these cards in HP laptops from poor speeds and low signal even when standing ...

Thank Post

Ralink RT 3290 & 3295 wifi card

having lots of WiFi issue with these cards in HP laptops from poor speeds and low signal even when standing right next to an access point and wifi just dropping, running latest drivers for the cards as well. has any one else experience issues with these cards.

Thank Post
    yes they suck. Have hp620's with ralink cards im slowly replacing them with ANYTHING else as older laptops die and i can rob their wifi cards. They are awful they turn off for no apparent reason and as mentioned seem to be dreadful at keeping connected

Thank Post
    glad I am not only one with this issue am currently speaking with HP at the moment as we have just bought 45 4340s and 4540s with these cards in and are causing me no end of issues. Any recommendations for replacement cards my old batch of laptops wont fit in these.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yea the RA link ones are not good, the issues we were having with them went away with the latest drivers under 7x64 and Ruckus but these were in ProBooks so may have been a different model. We have them connecting to an Aruba system.

Thank Post
    yea we have probooks, unfortunately are build is windows 7 32bit not 64bit so putting on the latest drivers has done nothing, did you have speed issue with yours, if so what kinda speeds were you get do you know? might try install 64 bit windows 7 and see what happens our machine came with windows 8 which i ripped off straight away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They seemed fine, they were connecting over AN though at 150+, W7 had a built in driver that installed and worked for a couple of seconds, just enough for my initial build test. Found out later that it collapsed in a heap right after. Grabbed the drivers off the hp site at the time, about a year ago.

Also found that installing the power management tools really helped as otherwise the fans were set a bit higher and the power saving was a bit squiffy, possibly something that could be messing with your wireless.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

pete (7th May 2014)

Thank Post
    il give the power management a try but we have custom images so i try to keep all that out to the keep the image sizes and build times down, but will try on a single laptop and see what happens. thanks

Thank Post
    I have also untick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device" under power management on the card. have had a replacement card sent out from HP and guess what makes no difference which I knew it wouldn't as they sent me the same card.

Thank Post
    Have you been into the device properties and looked to see if there is a preference to connecting to a/b/g. I know ive had a few cards that hang on to and use the a frequency over b/g, so ive had to force them to use b/g

Thank Post
    We ran into this problem after upgrading our Meru wireless controller to their MC-4200 appliance. HP ProBook 4430s units that WERE connecting fine with our earlier Meru controller were suddenly experiencing issues. After much back/forth with Meru support, they adjusted our "beacon frame" settings on several APs across our enterprise. We are still in "testing mode" but hoping for good news based on the improved connections we saw today. After I learned of the change, I Googled "beacon Ralink" or some such combination and arrived at this site. Hoping my tip will help some of you who have struggled w/this issue!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Have you been into the device properties and looked to see if there is a preference to connecting to a/b/g. I know ive had a few cards that hang on to and use the a frequency over b/g, so ive had to force them to use b/g
    unfortunately no such options, interestingly though I discovered the other day that 16 out of my batch of 45 have Intel cards and those members of staff that have those one haven't had any problems, got HP calling back on Friday as they have sent me a different card to trial.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prowley79 View Post
    We ran into this problem after upgrading our Meru wireless controller to their MC-4200 appliance. HP ProBook 4430s units that WERE connecting fine with our earlier Meru controller were suddenly experiencing issues. After much back/forth with Meru support, they adjusted our "beacon frame" settings on several APs across our enterprise. We are still in "testing mode" but hoping for good news based on the improved connections we saw today. After I learned of the change, I Googled "beacon Ralink" or some such combination and arrived at this site. Hoping my tip will help some of you who have struggled w/this issue!
    Please keep me posted on how you get on with this I have an aruba system but this may be something I can get them to do for my site to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ptotham View Post
    Please keep me posted on how you get on with this I have an aruba system but this may be something I can get them to do for my site to.
    Unfortunately, its back to the drawing board again w/Meru support. The changes made to our "beacon frame" setup have only made marginal improvements and the large portion of our 175 or so clients on the ProBook 4430 are still reporting poor performance. We directed students to a couple locations where we have LAN drops so they could complete several standardized tests this week. So, being able to gather more stats on the wireless performance has been hit and miss. I am asking Meru support to escalate to the next level of their support chain as we've wasted enough time gathering information and trying things. We need a real solution soon. I'm putting this on Meru because the issue didn't begin until we updated to a new controller.

Thank Post
    Quick follow up: Meru had us turn off the Virtual Cell technology in the code, which affects how clients roam between bssid's. Also, we found two settings on the Ralink card that were disabled. The settings were Multimedia-Gaming Mode and Power Management. We enabled the multimedia mode (it was disabled) We set the Power Management to "CAM" or constantly awake mode, which WAS set to max power savings. Changes to our controller along with the two changes on the Ralink driver seem to have solved our issues. I hope my experience can be of some help to you as well!

Thank Post
    Adding a bit of info for future searchers:

The latest driver for the RT 3290 available from HP for the Probooks still has problems and isn't the latest version.

Grab the latest version of the driver (5.0.46 at time of posting) from here instead: Downloads - MediaTek Mediatek bought or took over Ralink

We discovered this when tweaking WiFi settings and managed to kick 3 4340s off the wireless network - both the radius and the laptop logs showed everything was fine, the connection just dropped as soon as it was established.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread