+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, UniFi Advice in Technical; Hi, im after some general advice on peoples deployment of unifi. currently we have 47 AP mixed ratio of pro ...

Thank Post

UniFi Advice

Hi,

im after some general advice on peoples deployment of unifi.

currently we have 47 AP mixed ratio of pro and none - stats at the moment show roughtly 360 users pushing aroung 16g of traffic at its peak.
    devices ranging from laptops to ipads and phones.
    we have noticed that laptops seem to struggle once hitting the magic 300+ devices.

does anyone else experience similar issues and how are they overcoming these? we are looking to add an additional 500+ ipads into the mix so upgrading to pro APs is a must.
    do any others have large scale deployments? ipads / laptops are separated via vlan and ssid.

Thank Post
    How many devices per AP are you registering?
    What is the state of your DHCP scope - Lease duration etc this critical in the BYOD scenarios.
    We easily exceed 300 users on a busy day with no issues.
    Beware of your controller Database size and the system your running it on, use Ubuntu if possible and do not under spec your hardware. If using a Windows box as a controller what else do you have running on it?
    30 devices per radio is the optimal max load, any more and you will struggle, for these high density areas we install in a Pico Cell mode 1,6,11 on low power settings and they are fine.
    If you are running 300 users make sure that the APs are not running co-channel interference and never ever use 40Mhz channels on 2.4Ghz.

Beware of using the Ubiquiti Instant AF converters. These are dire.
    After a couple of weeks of complaints from some users in a specific area we decided to rip out the two busiest Unifi APs and replace them with Pro's.
    The difference was staggering even the users commented on how much better the "Internet" had been.
    However we found the Instant AF adaptors were burned out and when a radio is running at full load these 48v to 24v droppers were dropping packets everywhere.
    I know some resellers are still supplying these things but I stopped using them along time ago and these two got lost in the back of a cabinet. Only pulling them out did we see the brown burn marks on the casings.
    If you have Instant AF's change them asap.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply.

DHCP Lease duration we have set to 1 day for our student devices, we have 3 vlans that all have there own IP/SSID assigned with /22 subnet should provide 1022 devices per ssid ( ample for our requirements) staff and students are split with departmental laptops on there own ssid also.
    i have had to do it this way for our filtering requirements etc.

we are running windows server no other services are running so its own dedicated virtual machine database size is only 600mb we dont use the captive portal or anything like that it is purely for staff or students both locked down filtering etc server is 4gb ram and dual 2.8ghz processors - i was under the impression that the controller was only used for initial setup and if you were using the guest captive portal?

AP seem to have an even split across all so around 25 i have also set the balance workstations per radio to 30 all set to use HT20 not 40

i read somewhere that you can use the secondary port on the AP Pro to give it 2gb uplink (this seems questionable) as i cant find any details anywhere on there site, do you know about this? i always assumed it was for attaching another device like the documentation states.

i think it may be to do with co-channel interference. can you recommend any tools we can use to test?

thanks for your help

Thank Post
    Use metageek's inSSIDER and a dual band adapter to monitor your overlaps.
    There is no uplink via ethernet on the secondary port (yet) or for using 5Ghz as backhaul, this is roadmapped for V3.x firmware.
    Currently the secondary port is purely a bridged ethernet connection. I use one to connect a seperate IP camera to the LAN via a UAP Pro's secondary port.
    This port doesnt support or pass PoE either so its use is highly limited.

One of the issues commonly seen is that of client deafness, the AP can see the client but the client cant see the AP it needs normally because the noise floor is too high.

Fortunately we have the tools to trace this kind of thing quickly so fine tuning a Unifi install is easy.
    Fluke Aircheck and Etherscope.

If you have plans or any thought of using Wireless uplink beware, as this is highly limited and the throughput and capacity of a UAP on a wireless uplink is 50% of its host AP.
    Its the kind of feature you might use to extend coverage in a warehouse for barcode scanning but certainly not up to the demands of classroom deployments. Hardwire your AP's.

Thank Post
    thanks ive just found the Ekahau HeatMapper software so will trial that in one of our buildings.

thats good news, our reseller said you could increase the upload to 2gb links using the secondary lan port! hence my confusion. i wouldn't be considering using it as all our rooms have high level connections at 1gb.

wow there a pricey bit of kit but can understand if you installing wifi all the time.

Thank Post
    The absolute max throughput your ever likely to push through a Pro with 2 Radios is 600mbps theoretical wireless speed so the single gigabit uplink is never likely to even get warm so the link aggregation theory your vendor suggested is unlikely.
    There is no facility to configure LACP in the Unifi and as the secondary port doesn't seem to support POE using it for fail over isn't an option either.
    At the moment it really seems a bit pointless, they always seem to have something else up their sleeve for later so I guess we will have to wait for V3.0 to see what's next if anything.

The most likely reason is for integration into the mFI system of Ubiquiti products.
    These crazy gizmos are Ubiquiti's interpretation of X10 allowing closer automation of things like passive IR and power controls and CCTV all integrated in a common GUI
    A sort of Wireless utopia that is still unfolding in the mind of the developers...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread