+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Netgear WN802T connection dropping in Technical; Hi, I have a Netgear WN802T which exhibits a strange problem every so often. All my client XP laptops connect ...

Thank Post

Netgear WN802T connection dropping

Hi,

I have a Netgear WN802T which exhibits a strange problem every so often. All my client XP laptops connect to it perfectly (about 40 laptops) and are quite happily working away when all of a sudden they all lose their connection to the AP. After a minute or so, they all start reconnecting and can carry on with no problem. This happens on most days - I can't seem to find a way of seeing how often in the day it happens as the laptops are not always in use. I have tried Inssider and the Ekau Heat mapper - but I can't seem to find a way to leave them running for a whole day in a corner somewhere and then come back later to review a log ..... have I missed something there?!

I have upgraded to the latest version of firmware on the AP but still the drop-outs occur.

Has anyone else seen this problem or does anyone have any advice on what might be happening or how to troubleshoot it further?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Power Blip caused by the kitchens being turned on or some other such event - can you temporarily put the AP on a UPS and see if its any better?

Thank Post
    if you have money you could purchase a spectrum analyser like a wispy and see if an external source is causing intermittent interferance. There is a possibility that one of your clients is having issues and crashing the AP. I'd disable WMM as I've seen this feature upset some cards and or their drivers.

You should leave a ping running on the wired LAN to see if it looses all connectivity when issues occur, this may point to a power spike or a network issue on the wired side rather than interference.

I'd like to note that Netgear class this AP as a home product not an enterprise product so it isn't built to those standards.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    if you have money you could purchase a spectrum analyser like a wispy and see if an external source is causing intermittent interferance. There is a possibility that one of your clients is having issues and crashing the AP. I'd disable WMM as I've seen this feature upset some cards and or their drivers.

You should leave a ping running on the wired LAN to see if it looses all connectivity when issues occur, this may point to a power spike or a network issue on the wired side rather than interference.

I'd like to note that Netgear class this AP as a home product not an enterprise product so it isn't built to those standards.
    Hi there,

Thanks for the tips - I shall disable WMM and see how it goes and having PING running is a great idea (hadn't thought of that one!!).

Just out of interest, I was sold the AP having described exactly what I was planning on using it for, so rather hoped I was buying something robust enough to cope! Time will tell .....!

Thanks again for your suggestions - fingers crossed for some light to be shed!

Regards

Thank Post
    Check the uptime/logs it's probably just crashing, no doubt because it's a basic consumer AP and isn't expected to be used by anywhere near that number of devices!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread