+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Aerohive / Meru / Ruckus in Technical; Chaps & Ladies.... Time for me to start getting things together for our school. But I would like your comments ...
    Thank Post

Aerohive / Meru / Ruckus

Chaps & Ladies....

Time for me to start getting things together for our school.

But I would like your comments (Good / Bad) if you have any of these installed at your school (and please include any comments about the support you are given!)

Please also include a rough idea of how many devices connect and an idea of uptime without any problems!

Thanking you in advance.....
    Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    We have had Ruckus since the summer, only averaging about 25-30 concurrent users at the moment but it will handle all of those off one AP. No faults whatsoever so far.

Also look after Meraki at another site. When iOS6 hit, none of the iOS devices could log into the captive portal any more and Meraki were next to useless when I asked for support. Admittedly iOS6 had trouble with several captive portal systems, but given the amount we pay for support I had expected at least a workaround other than 'turn off the captive portal', which is what I've done for now. Have not yet retested with 6.0.1, but have heard nothing from Meraki for over a month, and they closed the support case without comment.

3. 2 Thanks to AngryTechnician:

daveyboy (5th December 2012), sudeshatilsley (14th January 2013)

Thank Post
    We have had Ruckus for about 3 years and may be looking to upgrade next year. The zone director has pretty much run continuously for that period except for general school power failures and updates. We have around 29 APs and had 60+ connected wirelessly in areas of the school.

Problems - most seem to be the fault of laptops choosing not to go to the nearest AP or one that is not as busy. We have had to tweak a few settings due to environmantal problems but overall the kit just runs as it should.

Our support has run out but when it was in force it was pretty good.

5. 2 Thanks to alan-d:

Thank Post
    Im trialing ruckus at the mo and very happy with it, even did own site surveys to see how it worked at our place and very impressed. I have heard (this is only heard so dont quote me on it or someone could tell me if im right or wrong) but netgear seems to be up there too.
    You coul ring a few suppliers and ask to test equipment.
    Can i just say that ruckus have some fantastic offers on at the monent ending at the end of dec.

7. 2 Thanks to timbo343:

Thank Post
    We have had ruckus for a few years. The system itself works really well. I think in the past year, ive only had to reboot a couple of access-points a few times. Most of the problems we get are related to dodgy wifi interfaces or drivers in the clients, or mis-configured poe switches (we use separate vlans for wifi). Once we fixed these issues, they have'nt recurred.

We have about 32 access-points, and 200+ clients across the school. most of our laptops are in trolleys of 15 or 30. I think i've only noticed a problem with too many clients on an access point once, when we had 60+ laptops trying to connect to one ap. It still worked, it was just a bit slow. This was a while ago, so I don't remember the exact details. It never happened again. 30+ devices on an ap doesn't seem to be a problem for us.

If you expect those sorts of numbers of clients connecting to one ap, you probably need to talk to a supplier to get their recommendation.

We also have a staff and student network for personal devices and phones. There are lots of options for this, and its easy to set up and not much work to maintain.

I don't think we've had to use the tech support, other than for initial setup. I think that says a lot about the quality of the product.

I would recommend an onsite demo of ruckus and the other popular systems. See what you think.

9. 2 Thanks to Chris_Cook:

daveyboy (6th December 2012), sudeshatilsley (14th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Meru. 802.11agn, configured for coverage rather than client density. Nominally 1 radio per classroom (roughly one ap per two classrooms). In practice in highish density use (28+ devices in nearby 54m^2 rooms) the load seems to be spread fairly evenly across six nearby radios. All staff work wirelessly even those using SQL Server backed applications. 50% of our Student access devices are wireless.

I am hoping to do some high density testing (60 clients in adjacent rooms) over the christmas period, to see how far we can push it.

Thank Post
    We had Meru put in over Summer by Virtue Technologies. It's a big site so we have 75 APs. At the moment we have about 400 to 500 ish devices and it's fantastic. We are moving to 1:1 devices and currently support BYOD and it seems very quick and robust. We had minor issues but updating drivers on laptops sorted it and the support was excellent throughout. I would certainly buy it again and from the same company.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    similar setup to @jcollings here.

Meru with 75 AP's and upto 500 devices.
    We went for 1 AP for every other classroom with a view to expanding to one per classroom as more devices come online.
    As with the post above some minor issues with old drivers but overall VERY happy with it. The single channel architecture works superbly - devices simply wander between AP's without missing a beat.
    I did have to reboot the AP's once in the last two years - but that was because of a firmware update
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 7th December 2012 at 05:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    We have had Ruckus since the summer, only averaging about 25-30 concurrent users at the moment but it will handle all of those off one AP. No faults whatsoever so far.

Also look after Meraki at another site. When iOS6 hit, none of the iOS devices could log into the captive portal any more and Meraki were next to useless when I asked for support. Admittedly iOS6 had trouble with several captive portal systems, but given the amount we pay for support I had expected at least a workaround other than 'turn off the captive portal', which is what I've done for now. Have not yet retested with 6.0.1, but have heard nothing from Meraki for over a month, and they closed the support case without comment.
    I had it working on an IOS 6 ipad other day

Thank Post
    I've used Aerohive in a large secondary school - around 250 APs, close to 300 iPads and 50-60 laptops were in use before I left.

It's an incredible solution - there's no controller requirement in the school, and everything can just be managed through the web browser.

Certainly when I was there, we had close to 100% uptime for every access point across the campus, and even if one failed, the others would react and try to patch the "hole" left.

Meru is in one of the schools I manage now, and I don't really like it. The APs are really ugly and huge, and the management seems pretty ugly and complex.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're on Ruckus here. 13 APs across the school, covering about 35 rooms. We have an average of 45ish devices connecting at any one time, but this is increasing constantly (when we got it 3 years ago, we have about 10 users on it). Current core uptime is 67 days, due to a power cut!

We have a couple of them set in 'Mesh' mode where we can't get any wires into the room and they work great.

16. Thanks to localzuk from:

sudeshatilsley (14th January 2013)

Thank Post
    You need to look at the Ubiquiti Unifi stuff too - could save you a lot of money...

14 Unifi APs here averaging 120+ clients per day and 20-30 Gig of traffic. Think I've had to reboot 2 of them since June...

Thank Post
    I've had a Ruckus system for about two years with around 54 APs. It's been absolutely faultless with no downtime at all.

Most usage we see is around 20 devices per AP due to the distribution density of the APs.

I love it. A lot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Ruckus in one school with about 40 concurrent connections
    No issues really since installation
    Meru in the other with about 60 concurrent connections
    Generally OK but things are slower to log on, even if only a few devices connected

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethm View Post
    I've used Aerohive in a large secondary school - around 250 APs, close to 300 iPads and 50-60 laptops were in use before I left.

It's an incredible solution - there's no controller requirement in the school, and everything can just be managed through the web browser.

Certainly when I was there, we had close to 100% uptime for every access point across the campus, and even if one failed, the others would react and try to patch the "hole" left.

Meru is in one of the schools I manage now, and I don't really like it. The APs are really ugly and huge, and the management seems pretty ugly and complex.
    Agree with this. I love the management interface for Aerohive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast