+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Managed wireless upgrade in Technical; Yes with meraki you have to pay for the support license for the cloud controller otherwise it doesnt work. The ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Yes with meraki you have to pay for the support license for the cloud controller otherwise it doesnt work.
    The meraki ap's are configured to automatically talk to the cloud controller. On you network on the controller you insert the serial number and when the ap contacts it gets configured.

With ruckus though is it not only the latest firmware the controller has rather than the latest available.again if they lose contact with the controller they carry on working.

Some features that i havnt seen in other wireless systems which meraki has.
    1. Auth by SMS (still in.beta) when a user connects they are asked.for.a username which texts them to allow.them to comnect.
    2. SSID straight to vpn. The ability to have an ssid which vpns traffic straight back to your network. Ideal for small branch offices.

The other benefits are thr security appliances and switches from the same console.

Thank Post
    My thoughts on the original question...

1. Make sure your idea of high density is the same as whoever is providing the wireless.
    2. Ensure your client devices - present & future(as best you can) will interoperate with the new wireless system.
    3. Remember with BYOD you have very little control over the client configuration so will be unable to make adjustments if they cause problems with your network.
    4. Insist, persist, demand to see reference sites using the same setup as you intend to use. Go speak to the people who manage and use the network. Look at a few vendors and make sure you understand how they work and the pros n cons of each. Don't spend a penny until you have!

Cheers
    Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Yes with meraki you have to pay for the support license for the cloud controller otherwise it doesnt work.
    The meraki ap's are configured to automatically talk to the cloud controller. On you network on the controller you insert the serial number and when the ap contacts it gets configured.

With ruckus though is it not only the latest firmware the controller has rather than the latest available.again if they lose contact with the controller they carry on working.

Some features that i havnt seen in other wireless systems which meraki has.
    1. Auth by SMS (still in.beta) when a user connects they are asked.for.a username which texts them to allow.them to comnect.
    2. SSID straight to vpn. The ability to have an ssid which vpns traffic straight back to your network. Ideal for small branch offices.

The other benefits are thr security appliances and switches from the same console.
    How would an AP connect with the external controller? Ports having to be opened at the edge?

Thank Post
    Iím assuming the APís donít automatically pickup proxy settings and any required credentials though?

Having some control over the firmware your using and deploying to AP's can be seen as a postive as well.

Dont get me wrong i can see some benefits from using a cloud controller, i'm just not sold myself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    How would an AP connect with the external controller? Ports having to be opened at the edge?
    Yes two ports to a range of ips - outbound only.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    I’m assuming the AP’s don’t automatically pickup proxy settings and any required credentials though?

Having some control over the firmware your using and deploying to AP's can be seen as a postive as well.

Dont get me wrong i can see some benefits from using a cloud controller, i'm just not sold myself.
    See post above re proxy - you can control the firmware if and when deployed from controller.

My main point not nessicsrily meraki's cloud controller but a virtual controller - something which doesnt require you to spend 5-10k on a physical device but a vmware image etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes two ports to a range of ips - outbound only.
    So if you go for Meraki, you'll need to check with your ISP to ensure they'd let you do this before buying. Just done a quick search and the ports appear to be:

UDP 7351, TCP 80, 443, 7734 and 7752.

I know some local authorities won't allow ports 80 or 443 to be opened so its definitely worth checking!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So if you go for Meraki, you'll need to check with your ISP to ensure they'd let you do this before buying. Just done a quick search and the ports appear to be:

UDP 7351, TCP 80, 443, 7734 and 7752.

I know some local authorities won't allow ports 80 or 443 to be opened so its definitely worth checking!
    I had that at my last place - we asked them to then only allow it to the set range of IP's and they accepted that - therefore normal traffic to a website is blocked but allowed to Meraki. (in that case it wasn't meraki it was another company).

But yes well worth considering.

Thank Post
    I looked at the Meraki option - and in fact we are using their dashboard to manage our wireless devices, however their licensing is a bit confusing at the moment and seems very expensive. They are also in the process of being aquired by Cisco and I am a bit nervous how this will affect prices and support.

As for the cloud based v physical controller debate, I like the idea of having a box here but I guess thats because I don't subscribe to the " the cloud is the answer to everything" school of thought. We currently have a controller with our Trapeze system and it has worked flawlessly and has never been down in 5 years. Having said that, we are also looking at the Aruba Instant AP's in which one of them becomes a controller for the rest but you have the option to add a "box" later if you want much more granular control.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDiGio View Post
    Was just wondering if you could clear something up for me re: Ruckus BeamFlex?

I am not entirely sure how it is actually of any benefit. The Ruckus AP, with BeamFlex, forms the beam and sends it to the iPad/iPhone/BYOD device. But how does the iPad/iPhone/BYOD device send the signal back to the AP? Surely you're going to need more APs for this to work which completely eliminates the whole point of BeamFlex?
    Your observation is correct, it only works in the downstream direction. The argument being that 80% of your traffic is going to be to the client. When designing wireless network it's important to realise that you have to consider the client's transmit power not just the access point.

Thank Post
    From my dealings I would say Ruckus is hard to beat! having used Cisco, Netgear, Meru and Aruba.

Thank Post
    Hello all. Just signed-up on here, so I know I'm late to this thread. I'm Meraki's Solutions Architect in EMEA, so feel free to ask any questions about our products.

The information above covering our solution looks solid. One thing I'd say is that the outbound IP addresses, ports and protocols to which you need to give access to use our solution varies by customer. Our solution is designed to be 100% cloud-managed, so you don't need to worry about hardware controllers and can manage/monitor your kit from anywhere you have internet access.

Thank Post
    Nice to see Meraki on here! I think I might fire you over lots of questions at somepoint - been rolling out quite a lot of Meraki kit recently not just the wireless but some of the MX security stuff too and have to say I love it!

14. Thanks to glennda from:

MerakiSimon (16th January 2013)

Thank Post
    We'll be at the BETT show. Come along and say hello

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MerakiSimon View Post
    We'll be at the BETT show. Come along and say hello
    cant make bett this year and i am no longer in education!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast