+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Ubiquiti unifi 3 packs in Technical; Do 3 packs come with 3 POE power units?...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do 3 packs come with 3 POE power units?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Do 3 packs come with 3 POE power units?
    Yes I got the 3AP pack and it had 3 APs, 3 wall and ceiling mount brackets, 3 bags of nuts bolts and screws, 3 PSUs, 3 Power Leads and 3 Adapters for the leads was most impressed. Just needed the patch cables and that was up and running

Thank Post
    Hi,
    I am looking to put in some access points in my school. This is my first time to hear about ubiquiti. It sounds almost too good to be true.
    I have a 32 bay laptop trolley, a 16 bay laptops trolley and a 16 bay iPad 2 trolley with more to come, all travelling from classroom to classroom (20 rooms).
    Would you recommend the standard or PRO APs? I would have a concern about the standard ones not being dual band and having no gigabit ports. The children would be using google earth, online flash games (sumdog, mangahigh etc.). Until i make a decision i am just using old wireless routers i had around the place but these are creaking under the pressure of too many clients (no surprise!).
    any info greatly appreciated,
    john

Thank Post
    The only problem with Unifi is that it is so cheap it's attracting people with no budget and very little understanding or knowledge of wireless networking which unfortunately is a dangerous combination.
    The UBNT unifi forum is unfortunately becoming over run by noobs asking the same rather boring questions without searching the forums or reading the stickies first.
    If you are competent with networks, switching, wifi, VLans and L3 routing and a bit of Linux, Unifi absolutely rocks.

If your a managed networking novice but are willing to learn as you go and learn from others and by your own mistakes you will love it.

If you just want to open the box and expect it to set itself up whilst you waste the day on Facebook, buy something else.

Thank Post
    Many thanks for your prompt reply. I am definitely not the latter and am relishing setting this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    The only problem with Unifi is that it is so cheap it's attracting people with no budget and very little understanding or knowledge of wireless networking which unfortunately is a dangerous combination.
    The UBNT unifi forum is unfortunately becoming over run by noobs asking the same rather boring questions without searching the forums or reading the stickies first.
    If you are competent with networks, switching, wifi, VLans and L3 routing and a bit of Linux, Unifi absolutely rocks.

If your a managed networking novice but are willing to learn as you go and learn from others and by your own mistakes you will love it.

If you just want to open the box and expect it to set itself up whilst you waste the day on Facebook, buy something else.

Thank Post
    Just to add my experience...

We are a primary special school with around 90 pupils. We have a managed IT service and although I am the IT technician here I know very little about networks and switches (although I have learnt a lot in the last few weeks!). Never had a wireless network in school before but head now decided we need one.

After getting quotes for a couple of enterprise wireless solutions which came in at between 5.5-6.5K (I had a budget of 7K for a wireless network and devices). I read about Unifi on this site. Did quite a bit of reading (posts from m25man were especially useful and encouraging - thank you) and eventually decided to give it a try against the advice from an 'expert' at our managed service provider who simply told me it was 'not very good' when I asked his advice.

A few weeks later I now have 4 Unifi Pro APs installed and working without a problem as far as I can tell. We currently have very few wireless devices in school but i borrowed a dozen netbooks from another school for testing. I think I neeed 2 more APs to give us full coverage which will mean a total cost of around 1200 including cabling and a few tools I needed + about 2-3 weeks of my time researching and setting it up.

At this stage I couldn't be happier with how things have gone. I am now considering spending some of the savings on a POE switch to eliminate the need for the adapters in each classroom and to automatically power down the APs overnight with the rest going on devices for the pupils/teachers - now I just need to work out which devices...

7. Thanks to spadam from:

m25man (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spadam View Post
    the advice from an 'expert' at our managed service provider who simply told me it was 'not very good'
    I expect many people will say the same about Dacia Range - Dacia UK who are part of Renault and have an F1 pedigree.

Like Unifi they do the job without the hype.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Ubiquiti unifi 3 packs

Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    I expect many people will say the same about Dacia Range - Dacia UK who are part of Renault and have an F1 pedigree.

Like Unifi they do the job without the hype.
    Unfi is great in certain situations but simply don't address certain things, for a 90 user site it should be fine however anyone who does not admit that ruckus or Aruba hardware is technologicly superior and handles way more edge cases is delusional.

kia make fine cars that work alright but compared to an Audi or bmw they just don't have the same depth of experience and skill.

Referencing the dacia, I almost need to reference captain slow :-)
    Last edited by SYNACK; 25th January 2013 at 11:59 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12