+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Help - Meru Site with high density usage in Technical; Hi all, Is there anybody using Meru successfully with a density of about 30 clients per room? This needs to ...

Thank Post

Help - Meru Site with high density usage

Hi all,

Is there anybody using Meru successfully with a density of about 30 clients per room? This needs to be in a typical school setup so adjacent rooms could also have 30 clients.

If you are, please let me know and I'll contact you directly for more info.

Thanks

Thank Post
    We have and we found that if users had big profiles then things slow to a crawl.

We also found that a machine built from a rehashed image of another machine caused problems when lots of users logged on at the same time.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    We have and we found that if users had big profiles then things slow to a crawl.

We also found that a machine built from a rehashed image of another machine caused problems when lots of users logged on at the same time.

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Most of our devices are user owned & authenticate with RADIUS and then it's just Internet traffic - Google apps etc. Our domain devices which have a profile are less than 2MB.

What's the most devices you have successfully connected to an AP? Also, what model AP?

Thanks

Steve

Thank Post
    320I's

30 Users login at once. We have 60 Devices but not tested that far as yet, these are fattops.

On our other site we use thintops and can have 60 out in an area with no issue,

However they could be on differing AP's.

Meru are usualy very persistent and helpful on support cases..

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    320I's

30 Users login at once. We have 60 Devices but not tested that far as yet, these are fattops.

On our other site we use thintops and can have 60 out in an area with no issue,

However they could be on differing AP's.

Meru are usualy very persistent and helpful on support cases..

Rob
    If you get chance would you be able to have a look to see what the max clients are on an AP when it's busy?

Thanks
    Steve

Thank Post
    Steveduk, apologies for not picking this up sooner
    Hi there, if there's a problem, please let me know mhowell@merunetworks.com and we'll help you through any issues.
    There's so many factors that could affect login times, no one site is the same. Common issues are large (unrealistic sized) profiles, power save settings on the client devices, poor chipsets i.e. single stream single band, or potentially a poorly configured system.
    Either way we can help so drop me an email with what the issues are, as specific as you can be.
    Many thanks
    Mark

Thank Post

Help - Meru Site with high density usage

Hi

Have a look at the device drivers, we found that an older intel wireless driver was causing some problems with a set of our laptops. We updated them and set the n channel to auto instead of 20mhz on the driver an noticed a massive improvement straight away.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Profile=2MB but not used for most users as they are BYOD
    Mixed chipsets with the latest drivers (we noticed throughput & connectivity improvements when updating but this was with individual devices)
    Changed Windows power settings (Meru instruction. No mean task to do twice on 1000 devices)
    Latest Meru firmware on controller and APs (Meru instruction and have tried several)
    Changed channel (Meru instruction)
    Turned off virtual cell (Meru instruction)

Mark - You did pick this up at the end of August. It's an ongoing issue since April and I'll reply to you privately.

Thanks everyone
    Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's a question... is the performance issue repeatable WITHOUT any staff or students nearby?

Also are any of the stations 'b' class devices? They have a really ugly impact on performance within the interference domain.

Thank Post
    We have approx 150 school owned laptops plus recently purchased class sets of iPads. Its the norm for 30 devices to be used in a classroom for any given lesson. Students have mandatory profiles (3.8Mb) and we regulary see all 30 devices login within 60-90seconds. Since opening access for BYOD devices two years ago we probably average 400 devices connected all day every day.
    I am aware of one local school who initially had some connectivity problems which was related to crappy NIC's on low end netbooks but as i understand an updated driver resolved this. We have a mix of AP311's and 320's using a 3000 series controller.
    Hope this is the kind of info you require, seams really unusual that you are having problems, my experience of Meru to date has been excellent.
    Feel free to come back to me if you require more detail.

Thank Post
    with regards to the above post by "Slice" please find a related video
    Last edited by TheTechieUK; 23rd November 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Being awesome and speaking the truth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTechieUK View Post
    with regards to the above post by "Slice" please find a related video
    It's not B*****t. Actually sounds remarkably similar to our site. 500 User owned devices with very little issue. Slightly less that 30 connections per AP. no login problems (no active directory either!!).
    All the issues have been to do with out of date drivers esp Centrio N's or blackberry. Again Meru have been very supportive and recommended excellent engineers who have fixed any issues that we have had.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slice View Post
    We have approx 150 school owned laptops plus recently purchased class sets of iPads. Its the norm for 30 devices to be used in a classroom for any given lesson. Students have mandatory profiles (3.8Mb) and we regulary see all 30 devices login within 60-90seconds. Since opening access for BYOD devices two years ago we probably average 400 devices connected all day every day.
    I am aware of one local school who initially had some connectivity problems which was related to crappy NIC's on low end netbooks but as i understand an updated driver resolved this. We have a mix of AP311's and 320's using a 3000 series controller.
    Hope this is the kind of info you require, seams really unusual that you are having problems, my experience of Meru to date has been excellent.
    Feel free to come back to me if you require more detail.
    Thanks for the info Slice.
    How many APs do you have covering each location with 30 devices in?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Here's a question... is the performance issue repeatable WITHOUT any staff or students nearby?

Also are any of the stations 'b' class devices? They have a really ugly impact on performance within the interference domain.

Some of the clients will be B/G. We have always allowed BYOD which includes all sorts of clients iPod, BB, Android etc. We have over 1000 clients which averages out at about 400 connected during the day. Overall throughput is relatively low as most of the traffic is Internet based and goes through a 100Mbps connection. I'd be happy going back to working B/G but it would then seem a bit daft paying for top spec N kit!

We've got Meru (who have gone out of their way to try and sort this) coming in next week so hopefully we'll get to the bottom of the problem.

Cheers
    Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It's not B*****t. Actually sounds remarkably similar to our site. 500 User owned devices with very little issue. Slightly less that 30 connections per AP. no login problems (no active directory either!!).
    All the issues have been to do with out of date drivers esp Centrio N's or blackberry. Again Meru have been very supportive and recommended excellent engineers who have fixed any issues that we have had.
    Could you let me know what BBs you had problems with?

Thanks
    Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast