+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Ubiquiti Unifi in Technical; Ah, that's it then As well as being crap at maths I can't read either...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, that's it then As well as being crap at maths I can't read either

Thank Post
    Synaesthesia, I was wondering how you were getting on with your testing of the Unifi system, we are a fairly large secondary school and are considering our options for a managed site-wide wireless system as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Faultless really - not had to restart any of them which is a common requirement for some of the standalone stuff from other vendors. Guest access is great and easy to set up. Generally we'd just say "very easy, does exactly what it says on the tin". Our test setup is likely to expand over the coming months/years on requirement of guest networks but we need to adjust our DHCP setup I think for security and administration purposes. That makes it easy too, just being able to throw more points at it without worrying about licensing or hardware upgrades. Mostly we needed other access points which would have cost similar, and as a result we've been able to do away with our old 6th form wifi setup. The amount of people using the guest wireless even in it's current limited scope is impressive and indicative of our future intentions.

From what we've seen so far, I'd put them on a par with the Ruckus kit for reliability and a little easier to set up. However, I will stress it's very early days especially with only 3 points running.

Thank Post
    Of our 12 points, we have had one point which kept falling over and requiring a hard reboot. We have fixed that now by taking the laptop that kept crashing it out of circulation.

The usage has gone through the roof, we have 140 staff and students registered to use their own devices on it, and 200 possible school laptops on it, from 8.30am to 4.30pm we don't see much less than 50 clients on it and it has peaked at 282 clients on 12 access points and no-one has complained about anything yet! We see an overall throughput of around 6gb a day, but the peak is 150gb.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the updates, I've read alot of very good things about this system. Out of interest are either of you using the Pro version with duel 1Gbps lan ports, or are you using the regular 10/100 version.

Thank Post
    It's great to see so many happy Unifi users after bringing it to the Forum 18 months ago.

It still continues to improve and the developers are working on it all the time. It doesn't do everything and it requires some TLC from a committed admin preferably with some Ubuntu skills if you want it be be as stable as possible but its still the cheapest managed solution out there especially for those on the tightest of budgets.

Even though the Pro's are 170 each the trend is now definitely towards them, I deployed one in a school Monday and by Friday they had three. The smile on people's faces when it just works when everything else failed or was too expensive to contemplate.

At one location we have 30 APs across 2 sites all with Guest access and control, with the Academy about to come on line at site #3 with another 5 Pros and a 5.8ghz bridge.

It does what it says it will, the end.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're just using the 10/100s - the price made them comparable to off the shelf AP's so it was an easy sell.

Thank Post
    We have been trying out Unifi for a while and have been so impressed, that I ordered 15 pro AP's this week, and we will be buying more when budget allows.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JRowley View Post
    Thanks for the updates, I've read alot of very good things about this system. Out of interest are either of you using the Pro version with duel 1Gbps lan ports, or are you using the regular 10/100 version.
    FYI, the Secondary Port on the pro is purely a bridge port, it doesnt even have PoE passthru (which would have been useful to power a camera) so it seems a bit of a lame accessory at present.

What I have done however is to pull back cable from a wall outlet up to the ceiling to power the UAP Pro then fed a new cable back down to the wall outlet using the Bridge.
    Saved running a new feed all the way back to the switch.
    @JRowley If your going to use the UAP Standard remember these are only 12-24v Passive PoE they DO NOT run directly from a PoE switch you MUST use the provided 24v adapters.
    There is a 48v to 24v in line converter available for an extra 20 each however these have a habit of going up in a puff of smoke so dont waste your money on them.
    Ubiquiti now do a 5 and 8 port PoE switch especially for these things but they cost arount 20 per port anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    @JRowley If your going to use the UAP Standard remember these are only 12-24v Passive PoE they DO NOT run directly from a PoE switch you MUST use the provided 24v adapters.
    There is a 48v to 24v in line converter available for an extra 20 each however these have a habit of going up in a puff of smoke so dont waste your money on them.
    Ubiquiti now do a 5 and 8 port PoE switch especially for these things but they cost arount 20 per port anyway.
    Eeek! We've deployed a load of standard UniFi APs across our sites (with very good results) using HP PoE Switches with the Ubiquiti inline adapters. We've had one fail so far... Should we be expecting a lot more of them to fail?!

Thank Post
    Unfortunately yes, Ive had a 98% fail rate and I pulled the rest in case one decided to self combust in a clients plenum space!
    Check the label side carefully there is an SMD regulator on the PCB with no heatsink it gets redhot and unsolders itself.
    Major design fault.
    If you have the External units with the built in pigtail they seem to be Ok.

Some of the other installers have been improvising by using thermal transfer compound and a glue gun to stick the hot side to anything that might dissipate some heat.

I ended up getting hundreds of .3 Mtr C5 cables made to make a neat job of using the supplied adapters and started to use some in line 24v Midspan units instead.
    I'm now using the Ubnt Toughswitches on all new installs.

Thank Post
    We would be using UAP Pro AP's if we went down the Ubiquiti route so this shouldn't be an issue for us if it only effects the standard editions. Well 1 Gbps port is better than 1 10/100 port anyways, even if the second is fairly pointless in alot of cases.

Thank Post
    A secondary nearby to us has Ubiquiti, well a lot do after I was promoting it.

One thing to look out is Bonjour if you have a load of macs and hasn't done anything with it, it was causing them issues with slow pings etc. Also it is worth turning off the feature that checks if the network is up, usually the gateway because you don't want your wifi dying just because your gateway fails/ restarts etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12