+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, So are you glad you did it? in Technical; I'm still in the progress. I'm sneaking a unifi past the management every so often. If I could come clean, ...

Thank Post
    I'm still in the progress.

I'm sneaking a unifi past the management every so often.

If I could come clean, lay out the plans wholesale and do it in one go I would, but my predecessor tried this and got nowhere. At least my little-by-little approach is actually getting gear on the walls.

I'm about to detail a project to replace around 8 3com points and a controller with unifi for our primary school site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    I'm still in the progress.

I'm sneaking a unifi past the management every so often.

If I could come clean, lay out the plans wholesale and do it in one go I would, but my predecessor tried this and got nowhere. At least my little-by-little approach is actually getting gear on the walls.

I'm about to detail a project to replace around 8 3com points and a controller with unifi for our primary school site.
    We have a bit of this at one site, sorted out an initial lite coverage then we grab one with every five new wireless devices (Aruba IAP's though).

Thank Post
    Firstly for the OP: Yes wireless makes a difference to teaching for us - we're don't have an ICT suite and there isn't enough room in each classroom to have dedicated space for computers. Hence wireless for netbooks that are stored in the classroom and can be used whenever required.

The school had a quote from Meru a few years ago as they were struggling with cheap wi-fi. They only had 16 wireless clients in the school at the time and the quote was >9k. Needless to say they didn't go ahead.

Now for my query: I hadn't heard of the ubiquiti solution before. Does it really give full managed capability at 50 per AP and only need their free software to manage it? I thought I'd done well picking up some used HP procurve kit from a BSF school, but that would start to look expensive......

Thank Post
    Yeah site wide wireless here and been used since day 1. Currently have around 450 laptops using it, plus student phones/ipads, staff phones/tablets and guests. Without it we wouldn't be able to teach the sort of curriculum we have or run our 1-1 laptop scheme. Well worth the money

Thank Post
    Yep yep yep.

My last secondary school implemented a full-on Aerohive system, and it was the best thing we ever did.
    All the problems that we had with an appalling Netgear controller-based system (that we lost access to months ago...) had vanished - literally overnight - and this strange thing happened... staff were actually coming into the office and saying how GOOD the wireless was, and how well it was working! Management became logging onto the portal in the morning, and leaving it open.

We did spend a considerable amount on the wireless network - had a proper site survey done, and had it installed professionally - but it was worth it.

The one piece of advice I'd give is ensure that your WIRED network is up to scratch first! Check capacity and operation speed. There's no point whatsoever putting an all singing all dancing wireless network on a wired network that's gonna fail when it sees the amount of clients connecting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12