+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Logging on via Wireless network in Technical; Hello folks, Bit of a strange one this, although I've come across the same problem before, I've never found a ...

Thank Post

Logging on via Wireless network

Hello folks,

Bit of a strange one this, although I've come across the same problem before, I've never found a solution, but this time I really need to find one as we have 100 of these to be put into use from September, but at the moment they're going to have to go back unless I can find a solution to this problem!

Basically they're brand new toshiba L30 laptops, and they can't login via the wireless network. It's as if it doesn't have any network connectivity, even though the wireless is switched on and the WPA key is programmed in. It works fine when a user is logged onto the machine by a cabled connection, then the cable removed and the wireless takes over, but as soon as you log off it looses communication with the network as if the wireless adapter isn't working.

Anyone got any ideas? It's running the latest drivers etc. and works fine in all other respects, just logging on is a problem.

Cheers,

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Logging on via Wireless network

Are they using some non-standard software for the wireless set up on them or are they using the standard Windows setup?

Thank Post

i had the same problem i got round this by downloading an updated wireless driver from toshiba, wrote a batch file to force the wireless to reboot again on startup and it has now solved the problem.

Thank Post

Just the driver is loaded, using the windows built in management for the connection. I'm loathed to load the adapters own management software unless I absolutely have to, as in my experience they tend to cause more problems than they solve.

@Netware
    What did that batch file do? Care to share, as it may just solve my problem! I've already got the latest driver loaded, and I've tried removing and re-installing the driver several different times, and checked and double checked all the settings.

It's doing the same thing on 2 of them, so I know something's wrong somewhere, just need to figure out what!

Cheers,

Mike.

Thank Post

Hi All
    This is caused by toshibas wireless management program controlling the adapter istead of windows controlling it. If the windows wireless manager is used it connects to the wireless system as the drivers are loaded so the login authenticates correctly.

If however the toshiba management program is contolling it this program does not run until a user logs in localy to the machine.

This is because the toshiba program is a user executed application where as the windows wireless program is run as a system application or process.

Hope this helps, just tell windows to manage the wireless adapter in the wireless settingd and it should be ok.

ps make sure the aerial is switched on too.

bazuk

Thank Post

Hi, have you done a fresh install, of windows instead of using the default install that comes with the laptops?

Thank Post

REM Restart Wireless connection to force broadcast IP request.
    REM Don't restart if ping successful.
    ping -n 1 172.16.3.9
    if %errorlevel% EQU 0 goto end
    devcon restart PCI\VEN_8086*
    :end

save as a .bat file and shes ready to go let me know how you get on, devcon is the driver name. ping any of your servers for the ip address...

Thank Post

i'd guess that your wireless drivers are only working once u've logged onto windows.

Thank Post

perfectly explained by bazuk,,,
    I had a similar situation, but by installing Intel software "proset" becuase this software does not loads until after user logs in, thats why I couldnt use wireless connection, but then I uninstalled this proset software and only left the drivers for the nic, and then windows took control for the wireless connections so it has an option to "connect automatically" when a wireless network is in range and because windows wireless connection manager loads at startup (before user logs in) that is the magical point!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by bazuk
    Hi All
    This is caused by toshibas wireless management program controlling the adapter istead of windows controlling it. If the windows wireless manager is used it connects to the wireless system as the drivers are loaded so the login authenticates correctly.

If however the toshiba management program is contolling it this program does not run until a user logs in localy to the machine.

This is because the toshiba program is a user executed application where as the windows wireless program is run as a system application or process.

Hope this helps, just tell windows to manage the wireless adapter in the wireless settingd and it should be ok.

ps make sure the aerial is switched on too.

bazuk
    even with windows managing the wireless the drivers still wont load unless you remove the program that attempts to manage the drivers. Best thing to do is delete all the programs you can see that are to do with the wireless, and install the wireless again using just the drivers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries

@MyDejaVu - I had this problem on a toshiba laptop with the proset software. However, on mine there was also a BT program which was trying to take control and also another one for some other broadband provider...

My problem was that they all were fighting for control of the card and the connection would work for a few seconds then drop etc...

So, the advice is - make sure there are no manufacturer programs installed at all!

Thank Post

OK, I've solved it now by using an OLDER driver surprisingly! I used the one that came on the CD with the laptop, as oppose to the newer one I downloaded from toshibas website. Works like a charm now.

Just to make it clear, I didn't have the toshiba software loaded, it was just using the windows management (I hate add on software like that) and it was a clean install of windows XP SP2, not the pre-installed toshiba one.

The problem I have now is to do with the wireless key. I'm using WDS with syspreped XP images (as oppose to RIS which we used to use.) The problem I'm running into is sysprep removes the wireless key information from the registry, meaning after imaging the machine it needs to be manually input. Is there a method of distributing this easily via GPO or a VB script or similar?

Cheers,

Mike.

Thank Post

See my post here:
    http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...&p=69726#69726

Basicaly, I automate the wireless setup wizard inside windows. In normal operation, it copies an exe and a text file to a USB pen drive. This exe will only run from the root of a drive letter not a folder, so I use the subst command to fake this (but you could map a drive to a network location). Then, I use autoit to press all the OKs etc...

Although it sounds like a problematic method, it has never failed once!

(yet).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

The problem I have now is to do with the wireless key. I'm using WDS with syspreped XP images (as oppose to RIS which we used to use.) The problem I'm running into is sysprep removes the wireless key information from the registry, meaning after imaging the machine it needs to be manually input. Is there a method of distributing this easily via GPO or a VB script or similar?
    If you manage to get the proset prelogon side working then you can export the profile of the wireless settings to a USB stick or share somewhere. Then its just a case of importing the wireless profile to a new PC once its built.
    I know you are not using the pro set software but its worth trying to get working as it saves quite a bit of time etc.
    I was not a fan of it to start with but after some tweaks on the switch and the drivers for the wireless chipset I have not looked back...... Yet.

[ I have 24 more laptops arriving Aug and 6 more AP to isntall !! ]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread