1 Vlan out of 8 having issues
Seem to be having some very strange problems with one vlan, up until 2-3 days ago it was working fine with no issues, i'm the only one that would/should be changing anything that could cause any problems (:D) and i know i've changed nothing that could be causing this problem...
Started off with a complaint that the printer in the maths department was taking about 5 minutes to print anything, pinging the printer showed constant time outs then about 10-20 ping responses and repeat! First off it sounded like an ip conflict, so i tried changing its ip to another free one and that made it better but not perfect (which is very strange) then yesterday i had a similar problem with another printer (not connected to the same switch but in the same vlan) i frigged around with that for a bit and couldn't see what the problem was, then the power got switched off in that room (science lab) and when it came back one both printers were fine, constant ping responses .... ok i thought, must have been those two printers playing silly buggers with each other.
That was yesterday, not today i have an impero group with 44 PCs in, again on the same vlan as those 2 printers, and they're randomly going off and back on again on impero, but if i remote to one that goes off with vnc i can see the pc is working fine, i did test another machine with a constant ping and found that it did eventually time out and come back again - these unlike the printers are not on static IPs.
Some of the errors the DC for that vlan is picking up in the system event log:
obviously i've changed the real name of the domain there though for the sake of posting here. The DC is setup to point at itself and one other DC as secondary for DNS, wouldn't be worried about this if i had just restarted the server but this error was popped up during the middle of the day!
Name resolution for the name domain.local timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.
Whether any of those are related to the problem im getting i don't know, the DC is running on vmware ESXi 4.1 in a cluster and is Server 2008R2, i've checked all the switches with procurve manager and they all appear fine too.
While transmitting or receiving data, the server encountered a network error. Occassional errors are expected, but large amounts of these indicate a possible error in your network configuration. The error status code is contained within the returned data (formatted as Words) and may point you towards the problem.
EDIT: did have 3 errors posted but removed the last one, fixed that.
EDIT: in closer inspection neither of those above errors seem to be the cause, i might just try restarting switches now to see if they're causing a problem anywhere, nothing in any of the event logs though ¬_¬