+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, connecting two switches over a fiber conection in Technical; hello I have one Allied Telesis AT GS950/48 with 4 combo ports ready for SFP transceivers and one HP ProCurve ...

Thank Post

connecting two switches over a fiber conection

hello

I have one Allied Telesis AT GS950/48 with 4 combo ports ready for SFP transceivers and one HP ProCurve 4208vl with a module with 4 SFP fiber ports. fiber ends in LC conector .
    The question is : do i should use SFP transceivers for HP -only dedicated once work - and for AT maybe some dedicated AT transceivers or should i go for media convertors solution - did anybody else tryed to have these two switches conected ? distance between switches over fiber is more then 700 m . fiber is single mode.

thanks guys for any idea.
    Last edited by marius_wiz; 25th July 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Put an HP compatible mini gbic in the HP switch and an AT compatible in the AT switch.

Sorted.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye, only use media converters if you really have to. Saves plugs, and if they're anythign like the old Allied Telesys media converters they get hotter than - well, hotter than a British Short Summer's Day!

Thank Post
    hello
    I plan to use some newer singlemode and multimode ready media converters - some edymax 1Gb capable once for single mode use- because i will use this solution for 3-4 months only until we move the factory to the new location one street away. i think that the AT GS950/48 Switch is only fiber multimode capable - i mention that this multimode option is working for 3 out or 4 SFP slots.

any news smart media converters do you could recomand ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 843 Posts
    Blog Entries
    am I right in therefore assuming your fibre doesn't go to a patch panel first? (so you can use whatever patch cable you like to convert them as you need)
    Really, really, really avoid media converters unless you have to. Of course they are probably preferable to getting a fibre person in to patch them in properly.

Thank Post
    yes i imagined initially not to use a patch panel because we need an Lc conector at the end an this is going into the transceiver which is plugged into the SFP fiber socket of the HP procurve. the HP porcurve SFP tranceivers is almost 500 euro- so not so cheap. on the other hand I have the AT switch with transceiver(for single mode is 300 $) plugged in with the LC connector of the other end of the fiber. - fiber is a pair of cable in single mode tehnology-

i could have asked to finish the fiber ends in SC also or in patch panel but the problems with transceivers still remains- so patch pannels would have cost only more.
    Last edited by marius_wiz; 25th July 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I suspect the Allied Telesis AT GS950/48 like the HP supports single mode and multimode fiber and modules. The HP J4859C supports up to 10Km in single mode and 550m in multimode.

If (for whatever reason) the Allied Telesis doesn't support single mode fiber connections, I'd recommend you buy another HP switch to match (it doesn't need to be expensive), so long as it connects using the same SFP module. You could then connect the HP into the Allied Telesis directly via Ethernet. This would be a better solution rather than using media converters. It would also allow you to manage the connection both ends too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread