+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Network Issue - What to do now? in Technical; Hi All, Having done a search and reading through various threads I was wondering if anyone could add anymore advice ...

Thank Post

Network Issue - What to do now?

Hi All,
    Having done a search and reading through various threads I was wondering if anyone could add anymore advice to help me track down my problem.

Around 10am today for no apparent reason our network decided to go down, by down I mean the following behavior;

-Clients unable to access network resources
    -Clients unable to browse to internet
    -Switches showing a lot of activity (mixture of entry level procurves and a few random unmanged)
    -Unable to ping from one static machine to another
    -Fibre convertors showing lots of activity

Now at first I thought this must be either a loopback or a virus as Ive seen both have similar affects on a network, Ive taken each server/host (we are virtualized on vmware) and rebooted, also taken all switches in building down. Thought it might our Ruckus wireless controller however this is now back up and appears ok.

We are back up and stable (ish) now...no idea why or how and Im in the process of troubleshooting further.

Sophos is showing no viruses
    arp -a resolves as expected
    I can now ping internal resources with no packet loss eg; server to workstation, workstation to server etc
    I can traceroute to google.com successfully

What I am noticing is that pinging our default gateway (a LA Cisco 2950) I received constant time outs on, this is from any area of the network...would it be reasonable to assume this could cause the issue given nothing has to our knowledge changed on the network?

Ill be doing another walk around later today to ensure there are no visable loopbacks/damaged cabling etc any other advice or ideas much appreciated

Thanks for reading

M

Thank Post
    The gateway may have blocked you out due to seeing too much garbage,
    probably worth getting the LA to health-check +/- reset from their end.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I have indeed logged a call on the Capita helpdesk as I know a couple of other schools within my LA had their 2950s replaced.

Hopefully have someone come back to me later today

Cheers

M

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could be a broadcast storm thanks to a loopback, try checking for switches patched back into themselves.

Thank Post
    Good call, Ive been obsessed with checking the classrooms, all cabs are under lock and key so nothing should have changed but always worth a look!

Some great threads about this sort of stuff already , strange thing everything seems stable other than my continual ping to the default gateway.....scary as other than take down individual cabs havent done anything else

Thanks for all the input thus far guys

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I presume if you disconnect or switch off the Cisco 2950 that problems go away? Other than not being able to ping it of course.

Thank Post
    Hi Michael,
    When disconnecting it earlier it seemed to resolve the issue, although by no means conclusive. I will restarting again later.

The switch is currently back up and running but as it is managed by the LA I am waiting for them to come back to me.

Just installing the trial for procurve manager which will hopefully allow me to look at some of the edge switches in more detail, wireshark hasnt yielded anything yet but then Im a first time user so reading up on its usage to ensure Im not making a newbie mistake!

Thanks!!

M

Thank Post
    Any logging on the Cisco or edge switches?

show logging

Thank Post
    Hi

What I would do is this?

Do all your servers plug into a main switch?

If they do disconnect all connections expect the servers into that switch expect the server and reboot the switch. This will see if its the main switch or a server. Check to see if the servers can connect.

Now connect the switch back up and disconnect all the network feeds to other parts of the school and check that the other switches near the server switch still work. You may have to reboot them. Look at the flashing lights do they go from a blink to a twinkle.

Check each other cabinet in school to see if they are flashing or twinkling. If they are tinkling connect that arm of the network and check its still working.

My guess is one arm has a loop. Its the end of the year and kids and teachers are leaving and stopping the network working is fun for some people.

Once you have it down to one cabinet disconnect all the switches and then connect them one at a time till you get the flash back.

Dont forget to enable tree spanning or fast tree spanning if they are newer switches.

Richard

Thank Post
    Once this is done

Capture packets from the network with wireshark for about 15 mins and then anaylse with the free capsa. This will tell you if you are getting broadcast storms duplicate ip addresses network problems.

You can also get a app for some mobiles that pretend to be the gateway and that will kill your network so it might be worth turning off the wifi while doing tests to eliminate it as the cause,

You might also want to check that the dhcp server is still giving out addresses as the service might have stopped for some reason.

Richard

Richard

Thank Post
    Lastly

Are you having problems with your electrics and do you have ups on the switches as well as the servers as this can cause the switches to become confused a reboot may fix this.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys overwhelmed by the response

Ricki my infrastructure runs on 3 hosts (VMware), Ive taken each of the servers down individually as well as restarting the hosts.

The core switch comes in at a central location with all other switches connected via cat 5 or fibre convertors, have restarted all of them.

Ill wait till schools out and start investigating further, some great advice here

S

Thank Post
    what's behind the 2950 as this is a pure layer 2 device and not a router.

Rob

Thank Post
    Hi Rob,
    The 2950 is connected directly to a linksys switch (unmanged and being replaced during summer break), other than that our edge switches consist of some newer procurve models and then its a bit mix and match (netgear, linksys etc).

Ive just got back from checking each cabinet, definetely no loopbacks

Checked all classrooms and any other points I know of and unable to find any sign of a loopback on the network

There is still a lot of activity showing on the switches around the building, Ive turned logging on and am in the process of setting up procurve manager.

As it stands at the moment the network appears stable, Ive been through the logs on the hosts and there is/was no excessive amount of traffic from the nics/hosts/servers that I can see.

Is there any other tools I can consider using? Ive left a contiual ping running with timestamp from my iMac to the core switch, The LA have informed me someone will be onsite at some point tomorrow to check out the 2950

Thanks

M

Thank Post
    Sorry, I mean whats on the outside of the 2950 as this is a layer 2 switch with no routing functions.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast