+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Network Issue - What to do now? in Technical; I use the free kiwi syslog to get logging from switches, trim it down and e-mail me about issues. Rob...

Thank Post
    I use the free kiwi syslog to get logging from switches, trim it down and e-mail me about issues.

Rob

Thank Post
    Cheers very kind and useful!

Behind the Cisco who knows it goes off into the SWGFL/Swindon LA infrastructure!

The only other abnormally Ive found this evening is that the Procurve switches for some reason seem to have running with 192.168 addresses almost as though they've been factory reset.....setting back to static addresses now!

Thank Post
    Seems odd to have a 2950 at a remote site without a router... Anyway.

If the procurves are on default IP's then your going to get all sorts of ARP issues and packets all over the place.

Is there a chance a pupil has worked out your switch password?

Also, ask the LA guy to detail the structure between yourself and other LA schools.

when we were on our RBC, we could see devices on other schools if we did not have our firewall in play. and in the early days a whole bunch of schools hapily shared that virus that used SMB ( was it blaster?? ). We were fire walled from day 1 circa March 2000. If your not protected from your peers then I would take steps regardless of what the RBC is doing to keep you protected from the OUTSIDE world.

Rob

4. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

SWICT (18th July 2012)

Thank Post
    The kiwi syslog server is good, thanks for suggesting it!

Switches are ok now, , spoke to HP and upgraded the firmware rebooted and they went back to correct settings which seems to have fixed the problem....never seen that before!

Yep definitely agree, have asked the LA to provide me with a network map, I can ping the servers of some of the other schools and even get onto the web interface of one secondary's core Aruba switch
    Last edited by SWICT; 18th July 2012 at 09:26 AM.

Thank Post
    Have you checked see what your spanning-tree settings are ? If you have a switch loop try enabling STP and see if if solves your problem!

7. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

SWICT (19th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SWICT View Post
    Yep definitely agree, have asked the LA to provide me with a network map, I can ping the servers of some of the other schools and even get onto the web interface of one secondary's core Aruba switch
    It's shocking that they are so lax, and that they don't even warn you of the risk.

There's a potential that a user in another school has caused this.

I would seriously consider having your own firewall on your link to the RBC.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SWICT View Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys overwhelmed by the response

Ricki my infrastructure runs on 3 hosts (VMware), Ive taken each of the servers down individually as well as restarting the hosts.

The core switch comes in at a central location with all other switches connected via cat 5 or fibre convertors, have restarted all of them.

Ill wait till schools out and start investigating further, some great advice here

S
    When you can afford switches that can hold the fibre modules this will speed your network up and then you can get rid of the convertors. I dont think this is the problem but every little helps.

Richard

Thank Post
    Hi

I have had another idea but its a remote one. You dont have two networks and they have been joined by accident and you have been getting the wrong ip range or the kids have plugged a dhcp server in giving the wrong ip addresses. I had this a long time ago with a teachers laptop where he had installed a dhcp server on in in windows 98 and every time he plugged it into the network we had problems. I took ages to find for obvious reasons.

Richard

11. Thanks to ricki from:

SWICT (18th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the continued ideas guys

Just got off the phone to the LA who are sending across documentation as well as looking into both our switch and the routing in that I can get to other schools (Ive counted 4 so far!) interfaces.

We are a single site, Ive had a look for rogue dhcp server after being stung with that in secondary!!!!

Hoping to make it to the end of the week so that I can spend all next week tracing cabling, ripping stuff out and double checking everything!!!!!

M

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    If there is nothing on your network causing it - could well be something from the wan.

Also a teacher hasn't decided they want Wireless and bought in a home router have they?

T

Thank Post
    I don't know Procurve switches but if they're like 3com then you can setup the switch name ip etc and reset it but if you have a powercut and haven't explicitly saved the config it will revert to factory (or last saved).

Check broadcast storm controls, RSTP enabled for edge devices and STP for all else and root guard if you have that feature.

Normally, if I suffer a network crazy like that I disconnect all the edge switches from the root switches, (extended star) then plug them in 1 by 1. IF 3ND can't help me.

15. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

SWICT (19th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12