DIP switches are small switches on devices, not common these days but still seen on media converters to configure speed/duplex etc.
Clkj (5th July 2012)
Quick update - Ive found a temporary fix but i dont understand what ive done to fix the WHOLE network (I just thought it would fix the office computers)
As you can see. I used the old copper connection to try and get the 2 office computers working and unconnected link 1 - thinking this would only get the office working along with the IT suite. But everything worked after disconnecting link 1 and connecting the old copper link. So from what i can work out the fibre is working.
Could a dodgey cable on link 1 have caused this the whole network to stop - apart from the computers connected via switch 1? or do you think ive somehow disconnected a loop by taking out link 1? if i have i have no idea what loop - it must have something to do with old wireing.
(all the yellow and red lines are parts of the network not working yesterday - the green ones were working)
Thanks again for all your help.
Last edited by Clkj; 6th July 2012 at 12:14 PM.
was the copper connected before?
I agree with what you say. The person taking care of the network before me didnt document anything or keep any records of anything. When i started all they passed on to me was the administrator password. None of the teachers laptops or office computers are actually on the domain there just stand alone computers.
Most of the network is on the way out. i have 3 new managed switches to replace 3 of the old netgear ones. a whole new set of desktops and laptops and liceses for Windows 7. (Currently on XP). So as of the summer holidays most of it will be started from scratch anyway. (and everyone will be on the domain!)
Thanks for all your help.
It does look like a fibre fault or indeed a duplex mis-match. Personally I try and avoid media converters, as it's one more link in the chain to go wrong. Installing fibre modules, such as a Cisco GLC-MM-SX will give you a dedicated 1Gbps link over OM1, OM2 or OM3 fibre and allow you to manage it properly both ends. All major manufacturers adhere to this standard.
Working at 2 schools means i dont have alot of time when something like this goes wrong. I cant leave one school to go to the other as im on 2 seperate contracts for each. Meaning it just has to wait which isnt great.
It was one of the media converters by the way!
Thanks for everyones help.
Did you only replace one?
I'd recommend replacing both especially if you didn't get the exact same make/model as a replacement.
I would ditch them altogether and replace with SFP's in a switch.
I was called to our sister school last year after a power cut, non of the network was working apart from near the core switch. The core was connected to access switches in far flung areas of the buildings via media converters. After backdooring the Cisco core ( they had no idea of the password ) I confirmed that it was happy, but could not see the Access switches. At the Access switches, backdoor again and confirmed they were happy. Reset all the media converters at both ends and it jumped back into life!..
And at another of my clients sites, they have a media converter that stops passing trafic if you look at the wiring closet!
TBH, I don't know why the old NM had not used SFP's everything supported them ( well to use cheap ones you have to force the Cisco stuff ).
All the converters were showing link at 1G/FD. Just no traffic...
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)