+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Network Config issue through Smoothwall in Technical; Hi there. I am in the process of setting up a seperate VLAN accross my smoothwall device but I've hit ...

Thank Post

Network Config issue through Smoothwall

Hi there.
    I am in the process of setting up a seperate VLAN accross my smoothwall device but I've hit a problem on the networking side.

Attached is a bief network diagram. I am adding in NetRange-B to my existing NetRange-A. From a usage point of view PC-B can get on the internet and is being filtered appropiately by the smoothie so is basically all working fine. PC-B's default gateway is the smoothie. PC-A's defualt gatweay is the firewall. There is a static route defined in the firewall so it knows that NetRange-B can be found by going to the smoothwall.

However currently PC-A cannot talk to PC-B and vice versa. This is actually what I want however I am concerned that this is not happening by deliberate action but accidental incompetance as as far as I can tell they SHOULD be able to talk to each other. I would like to resolve the issue so I know what's going on.

As stated PC-B gets on the internet, PC-A does as well. The firewall can Ping both PC-A AND PC-B. The smothie can ping both PC's as well. However running a ping from either PC (or trying to access them in any other way (i.e. file shares) fails. Running tracert commands on either PC just see's the trace fail as it bounced off the respective default gateway.

Any suggestions where i am going wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Hi Stuart,

Which Smoothwall product is it that you're using? If it's Network Guardian or SWG then you'll need to speak to the support team to get the bridging module ("SmoothZone"). If it's Advanced Firewall, School Guardian or UTM then you'll need to put a rule in Networking > Zone Bridging to allow those two networks to communicate.

On NG/SWG without the bridging module nothing is allowed to pass between separate network zones, only web traffic being filtered.

Additionally it looks like PC-A needs to have the Smoothwall as its default gateway, not the firewall. If you could add the network ranges and subnet masks to the interfaces on the diagram this will highlight for us what you've got set up and what might need to change.

Hope this makes sense!

Rob.

Thank Post
    Rob,
    Sorry for the delay. I've got all this set up with Chris' help so the modules are in place and it does work.. it just seems to be this networking issues.
    I've updated the image with the IP's on.

As stated the firewall can ping a PC on the wireless network (172.17.x.x) but a PC can't ont the 172.16.X.X. The reverse is true where a PC on the 172.17.x.x. network can get out to the internet but can't see PC's on the main network (which is kind of what I want but I'm not convinced ive done it deliberately)
    Attached Images Attached Images

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread