+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, DNS Question. in Technical; Hi All, bear with me on this one - it isn't a simple one. As it stands, we host our ...

Thank Post

DNS Question.

Hi All,

bear with me on this one - it isn't a simple one.

As it stands, we host our own website & VLE. we're looking to move the website offsite but leave our VLE hosted on site. I've got sorted out what i need to do DNS-wise except for one thing:

currently, for students to access our website / VLE at beverleygrammar.co.uk from on the school network we had to create a DNS Zone on our own DNS servers - this is due to the public facing IP address being same as the firewall (at our local authority) as the traffic going in /out from our LAN to the Internet.

If we remove this DNS zone, beverleygrammar.co.uk from inside will stop working. If i were to just remove the www 'A' record from the local beverleygrammar.co.uk zone will devices on site go off to the big wide world and try and resolve it as it would any other website? Alternatively, if i were to change the www record to the IP of the new externally hosted website, would this fix it?

I know a suggestion would be to remove the zone completely and use our webserver's local address when accessing the VLE internally. however, our VLE (A custom written one) doesn't play nice when using the servers local name (i didn't choose it, before anyone asks!)

im thoroughly confused,and feeling like i'm between a rock and a hard place on this one. i'm hoping it makes perfect sense to some of you?

Cheers.

Dave C

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need to remove the zone entirely and make a new zone with just your VLE subdomain, ie the zone would be vle.school.org.uk and you would have a blank A record in there that pointed to your local server IP. That way only traffic to the VLE subdomain will be overridden by the local IP, everything else will be handled just like it is in teh outside world.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

djcawthorne (7th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Fantastic! Makes sense! Should've thought of that! Much appreciated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread