+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Internet Down! in Technical; got a feeling @ john will have something to say about that! hes got an entire juniper lan! EDIT: the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    got a feeling @john will have something to say about that! hes got an entire juniper lan!

EDIT: the juniper SSL appliances I use are ok.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Other week we went down to 0.3Mbs speed, our ISP said it was something on our network taking the bandwidth. We spoke to another department in the ISP later on in the week who siad there was a technical fault and they couldn't deal with the speed issue till that was resolved.

Turned out to be a tree branch hanging on the cable causing a bad connection. Would of been easier to find fault if internet had failed completely, a whole week wasted :-( .

Thank Post
    I have my new junior school all on juniper and am moving my main school and sixthform over to juniper over the next few years, I also use there SSG appliances and so far they have been excellent. I am moving from D-Link to Juniper and there is no way I would rate D-Link above juniper.

Thank Post
    DLINK over Juniper... I strongly disagree.... Juniper is the worlds leading vendor of IBR's (Internet backbone routers) infact nearly every core / backbone internet provider use Juniper at the core! - I could lsit at least 10 Communications Providers that Juniper at the core and you'll be connected to it no doubt!

Do a treaceroute - you'll see that nearly every hop hits a Juniper and the odd Cisco, I even pick Juniper over Cisco! Anything in traceroute with ae-EBR, ae-EDGE, or ae-CORE is a Juniper - everything else is either Cisco or foundry.

I will admit a few months back when there was a bug in the JunOS software which caused IBR's to core dump... that will NEVER happen again and to be fair Cisco have had similar cock ups a few more times than Juniper!

The problem is... Juniper is very heavily Linux/BSD based in the OS - not everybody is comfortable with that and make mistakes - actually it's probably the most stable routing OS on the market.

We are entirely Juniper here too apart from the Cisco 2950 in my office soon to be replaced by ..... A Juniper!

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    No, Juniper *is* fail. It's turgid crap and always has been. Buggy software, memory leaks, it's always been a nightmare - unless it's improved drastically.
    I rate Dlink over Juniper. That's how bad it is.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 1st June 2012 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Its not Juniper that have failed... It's the guys configuring the kit that fail.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,153 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Of course ... the RBC didn't have an issue here because we peer onto multiple points!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 863 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jesus christ - do any of you people understand sarcasm and exagguration?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people ...
    I think you'll find that rappers do.

9. 3 Thanks to sonofsanta:

andyturpie (1st June 2012), GrumbleDook (1st June 2012), X-13 (1st June 2012)

Thank Post
    Apologies - didn't realize ..... bad day day today! - However t'is Friday and have a lonnggggg weekend with Mon and Tues off!

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Jesus christ - do any of you people understand sarcasm and exagguration?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 863 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No worries, will join you on that one - people moaning because *something* is being flakey. And we've no idea what, other than every time it happens we eliminate one or two possibilities :|

Joys. Edubeer required after work!

Thank Post
    Edubeer - I think more like EduCrate of Edubeer - and if i had a crate of Edubeer you could have some on me!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    got a feeling @john will have something to say about that! hes got an entire juniper lan!

EDIT: the juniper SSL appliances I use are ok.
    John will chip in he loves his Juniper LAN over its previous Netgear LAN, life is just much better and such a nice bit of kit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    @john;

I have experience of Cisco for the past 10 years and it just works wonderfully well, saying that I too would move to Juniper infrastructure for the future of our school.

Get the design right and the infrastructure should last for years without changing.

Financial restraints keeps schools from having the best equipment available to make them cutting edge and sometimes, only in a few instances do you find that finance has not been a factor and the design has been slightly overkill in some respects for the nature of the business.

You pays your money and you takes your choice

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Our core at one of the schools are years old Cisco 3750 stacked switches and still do their jobs great with solid speed, performance and reliability. Its all about what you buy, our D-Link and Netgear filth lasted a couple of years max before becoming more trouble than it was worth.

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

bossman (16th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    My Netgear was good kit and wasn't creating issues, just we had outgrown that kit due to change in requirements of the school for what we do and how we did it, such as BYOD, more bandwidth required and the fact that Netgear switches didn't seem to bond connections correctly despite everything we tried.

As a result we replaced everything and re-wired some areas to remove the ever common "core" > switch > switch > switch > switch which was happening (or even "core" > "next core" > switch > switch > switch) and took the opportunity to look at a range of makes and options, these were put out for pricing and the Juniper Solution from @Net-Ctrl was the best value solution and has been bulletproof and when I have had moment of changed needed the support from Net-Ctrl has been excellent and well worth the money

We did do all our own re-cabling and laying out and re-designing of the layout with them, so we no longer, bar one room (which won't exist in 6 weeks time) have any switch>switch>switch>switch it is all Core > Edge much better performance and does everything we throw at it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast