+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Wired Networks Thread, Strange network cable problem in Technical; Need some ideas thrown my way regarding this one. We have some networked portable classrooms, one of which has developed ...
  1. #1
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    580
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Strange network cable problem

    Need some ideas thrown my way regarding this one.
    We have some networked portable classrooms, one of which has developed a problem.
    Totally lost it's network connection - no link light on the computer, nothing.
    So, I tested the various network leads at the computer end and at the cab - all fine.
    Tested the cable between cab and wall socket - fine.
    This lead me to believe it was a faulty network card in the machine - not so. Plugging two more machines in revealed still no link lights. Again, tested all cables and everything was ok.

    So, with perfectly ok cabling along the whole route, perfectly working port on the switch, perfectly working network cards on machines, why am I still not getting a connection?

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    WM

  2. #2
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,356
    Thank Post
    617
    Thanked 274 Times in 241 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    These machines all definitely work elsewhere in the building? (I know it's highly unlikely to have 3 machines all die, but I always make sure I take a laptop with me that I know had a working point and connection at the server cab end of things if stuff is failing in one of our portable classrooms)

    Also, I assume you've tested the main connection to that classroom and checked (if the switch is managed) that it's not been compromised at all and therefore had ports turned off and all that jazz?

  3. #3

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,691
    Thank Post
    824
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    731
    How good was your cable tester? A cable can have electrical conductivity but still be completely unfit for network traffic. We had some ports crimped down - by a dodgey supplier - to cheap rack patching blocks with no supports. These passed most tests of condictivity to pairs but the termination was so bad that it echoed the digital signals into oblivion. It also had the nice little habbit of killing the links when expantion or contraction from heat or cold caused the links to fail.

    Have you tried reterminating the ends?

  4. #4
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    580
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    These machines all definitely work elsewhere in the building? (I know it's highly unlikely to have 3 machines all die, but I always make sure I take a laptop with me that I know had a working point and connection at the server cab end of things if stuff is failing in one of our portable classrooms)

    Also, I assume you've tested the main connection to that classroom and checked (if the switch is managed) that it's not been compromised at all and therefore had ports turned off and all that jazz?
    All machines work fine (one was my laptop).
    The port was the main one into the room from the cab.

  5. #5
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    580
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    How good was your cable tester? A cable can have electrical conductivity but still be completely unfit for network traffic. We had some ports crimped down - by a dodgey supplier - to cheap rack patching blocks with no supports. These passed most tests of condictivity to pairs but the termination was so bad that it echoed the digital signals into oblivion. It also had the nice little habbit of killing the links when expantion or contraction from heat or cold caused the links to fail.

    Have you tried reterminating the ends?
    Its a pretty basic tester which gives a yea or nay for connection. Nothing more.
    I reterminated one end because it was crossed over. Admittedly, I haven't done the other end which I'll try.
    The end I re-did was very badly done by the people who supplied the classrooms.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    331
    Thank Post
    63
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    It also had the nice little habbit of killing the links when expantion or contraction from heat or cold caused the links to fail.
    I also had a problem with an intermittent problem where an aircon unit blew on the patch lead making it contract and loose contact. Replacing the lead resolved the issue.

  7. #7
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,356
    Thank Post
    617
    Thanked 274 Times in 241 Posts
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by WithoutMotive View Post
    Its a pretty basic tester which gives a yea or nay for connection. Nothing more.
    I reterminated one end because it was crossed over. Admittedly, I haven't done the other end which I'll try.
    The end I re-did was very badly done by the people who supplied the classrooms.
    You know what, I don't know why I didn't think of that either given the number of ends I had to reterminate .. I probably wiped it from my mind .. it was almost as if they had just shoved wires into the plugs and crimped, not check the pairing etc ..

  8. #8
    chazzy2501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    1,723
    Thank Post
    206
    Thanked 254 Times in 206 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    As a quick test, force your PC to use 100Mbit Full Duplex instead of Auto.

    Does your tester test all 4 pairs or is it 100Mbit tester only? I found that when upgrading to Gigabit PCs my network cabling wasn't so good. I have is some cases cured issues with connectivity by forcing some PCs to use 100Mbit instead of Gigabit.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 22nd May 2012 at 09:36 AM.

  9. #9
    WithoutMotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wigan, UK
    Posts
    580
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    All sorted (not sure how).
    Re-terminated both ends of the cable again and now I have a proper connection. I'd done this at least twice.
    Oh well... done now

    Thanks.

  10. #10

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    8,941
    Thank Post
    232
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Rep Power
    328
    It could be that some pairs were OK, but not all four pairs.

    Depending how good the tester is, a lot of them display information for each pair rather than a simple yay or nay

  11. #11


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Rural heck
    Posts
    2,662
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 434 Times in 353 Posts
    Rep Power
    125
    I had a similar issue with a cable run that had the same wiring error at both ends. The 4 pairs were next to each other instead of having one middle pair inside the other.

  12. #12

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    12,968
    Thank Post
    587
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Rep Power
    398
    Both ends should match T568B or T568A depending on where you live.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

    @K.C.Leblanc not quite sure what you mean.

    Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th March 2011, 11:11 AM
  2. Strange Network Problem
    By binky in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th July 2009, 11:19 AM
  3. Strange network connection problem
    By trekmad in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 5th October 2007, 08:04 PM
  4. Strange Network Problem this Morning
    By Roger in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th September 2005, 11:01 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •