+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Backups in Technical; @ dhicks - Agree with you completely there. Bizarre how some places have a less than adequate system for backup/recovery ...

Thank Post
    @dhicks - Agree with you completely there. Bizarre how some places have a less than adequate system for backup/recovery and DR. Can i ask what system you employ for this?

Thank Post
    I've told Management how much it would cost to do this properly and they won't pay. My solution was better (just) that no solution. There are also paper copies of all the most important stuff in a third building.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    If its RAID 0, then I'd say that no, it isn't a backup.
    (yes it is, its just not redundant I used to backup to tape how is this different?)

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    I've told Management how much it would cost to do this properly and they won't pay. My solution was better (just) that no solution. There are also paper copies of all the most important stuff in a third building.

(yes it is, its just not redundant I used to backup to tape how is this different?)
    Seriously?
    You think losing a set of tapes and losing all your backups is the same thing? I have not the words, frankly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Seriously?
    You think losing a set of tapes and losing all your backups is the same thing? I have not the words, frankly.
    It's okay though because there are "paper copies of the important stuff" - I think the Senior Leadership need to think again about how their data is managed and protected. Ditto Roberto... words fail me.

Thank Post
    RAID0 and SATA hard drives are leaving you in a dangerous place... if one HDD packs up you lose the ability to be able to restore anyone's work from the past couple of weeks (ouch)

Surely there's enough £££ for 2 extra drives for RAID5 + hot spare?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbjs View Post
    Can i ask what system you employ for this?
    We've been moving everything around over Easter (new FreeNAS-based file servers and so on), so we're still working on that - I reckon a script to snapshot our virtual machine harddrive volumes and send the diffs to a remote server should do it, along with something similar for the file servers, although we'll have to see how much data we have change every day to see if this is practical to do overnight. XenServer's "quiesced snapshot" feature looks useful for this - it would seem to let you get the virtual server into a state where you can snapshot it without having to shut it down first.

Thank Post
    I see you're all more worried than I am Thanks...

SMT know the situation. (maybe I'll remind them) I'm only the Senior Technician here so have no real authority to demand more and can only make suggestions. The tape backup was an autoloader and spanned the backups accross tapes and they would without warning not restore some data, as a single tape had a minor error. (You could verify but the backup took over 3 days)

I know the raid 0 (especially on sata) isn't a sure thing but the server can't accomodate more drives, it's full. It's been running for over a year now. I need the backups so I can't reraid in 5!) Software Windows Raid at that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Nightly Veeam backups to disk (5x2TB in RAID5 inc hot spare) then weekly Veeam archive to LTO-5 tape... best of both worlds
    (Using Reverse Incremental mode so the current backup job is always the main Veeam VBK file, makes it easy to archive as a point-in-time copy)
    We use Veeam here too, Mon-Thurs reverse-incrementals and Friday Full backup of our entire VM estate (about 2TB compressed, mostly thin provisioned). As for the device, it's a WD RAID 0 6TB external usb hard drive than copied to a QNAP NAS in a different building.

I personally think that Veeam is the best software that we have purchased. We backup at about 190MB/S and can restore entire VMs in minutes. Testing backups has never been easier!

Unfortunately I can't convince SMT to purchase another SAN to setup replication too!
    Last edited by Gardinho; 2nd May 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Use RSYNC to a samba share on a Linux machine - it's all free.. we use it here for incremental and full backups here on a RAID 1 config.

Works perfect!!!! Restoration of files (if needed) is VERY easy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12