+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, New phone system in Technical; Originally Posted by djones Forgive me if I'm being thick with FreePBX and Elastix (and others I assume) but are ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    Forgive me if I'm being thick with FreePBX and Elastix (and others I assume) but are they are essentially a Linux distro installed on dedicated hardware (or VM like Hyper-V?) and presumably have a card installed with a number of ISDN/analogue phone lines plugged in? IP phones then plug into the network and communicate with the Elastix system which in turn routes internally or externally via the interface card and the external phone lines?
    Generally not as a VM (or at least not without some dedicated server hardware) unless you have no need for Analogue/ISDN type interfaces. I put together a small Atom based asterix (FreePBX) system for home using an OpenVox 400 card to interface with the analogue (PSTN) line while the PBX defaulted to dial out on a sipgate supplied VOIP line. Worked well enough but SWMBO hates it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Personally when I installed FreePBX i didn't run it as a Vm purely for the fact that if VM hosts fail I want the phones to run as using SIP Trunks to the internet no additional hardware was required to interface with ISDN/Analogue. And if the hardware fails We could restore a backup to a VM. I was running 76 phones from a old dual core xeon with 2gb ram and never even jumped above 30% load. I think with Vmware you can pass hardware through though can you not? Some isdn interfaces are USB.

Thank Post
    You could also try Downloads - SIPfoundry

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Personally when I installed FreePBX i didn't run it as a Vm purely for the fact that if VM hosts fail I want the phones to run as using SIP Trunks to the internet no additional hardware was required to interface with ISDN/Analogue. And if the hardware fails We could restore a backup to a VM. I was running 76 phones from a old dual core xeon with 2gb ram and never even jumped above 30% load. I think with Vmware you can pass hardware through though can you not? Some isdn interfaces are USB.
    VMWare has no support for ISDN or Analog POTS interface cards. Additionally if you try and virtualise a asterisk based system you will run into timing issues that will drop calls at anything above minimal loads.
    Last edited by Geoff; 5th May 2012 at 01:56 PM.

Thank Post
    a note when looking at a hosted voip solution, is to ensure that there is continous quality of service from your ISP through to your hosted voip provider. many a situation has arrisen where hosted services have been delivered over a large internet pipe to the customer premise, but the connection between the hosted Voip provider and the ISP has been over the public internet, hence no garentees on the quality of service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If this is a serious issue (I'd hope you'd be having a word with your ISP though first!) Some VOIP providers are ISPs as well. So that neatly fixes the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12