+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, New network: switch recommendations in Technical; As you say, the difference is one is managed, one is unmanaged. Managed means you can control lots of the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As you say, the difference is one is managed, one is unmanaged.

Managed means you can control lots of the capabilities of the switch. Unmanaged means it is effectively a dumb unit which just follows whatever its default rules are.

So, you couldn't use the unmanaged switch in a situation where you have different VLANs for example - you could only have it handle a single vlan which is actually being handled by another 'managed' switch which this one would hang off.

The questions you need to answer really is not would an unmanaged one be any trouble but what features you need your switches to do. How big is your network - from the sounds of it is is pretty small, and then unlikely to utilise any complex networking capabilities.

If your network is less than 100 devices, I'd not be looking at managed switches at all personally.

2. Thanks to localzuk from:

djones (23rd May 2012)

Thank Post
    It was more hypothetical really as I'm just trying to clarify a few things in my head. However, considering a small Ruckus install into an existing network with one managed (LA owned) and another unmanaged switch. If I wanted to upgrade to 10/100/1000 and also wanted to be able to utilise a guest SSID which gets internet access but not access to the rest of the school's network, how would I go about it? Would the only way be to upgrade the core managed switch or could I simply add an unmanaged 10/100/1000 switch and plug key devices into that? I'm not sure how Ruckus handles the guest SSID bit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by djones View Post
    It was more hypothetical really as I'm just trying to clarify a few things in my head. However, considering a small Ruckus install into an existing network with one managed (LA owned) and another unmanaged switch. If I wanted to upgrade to 10/100/1000 and also wanted to be able to utilise a guest SSID which gets internet access but not access to the rest of the school's network, how would I go about it? Would the only way be to upgrade the core managed switch or could I simply add an unmanaged 10/100/1000 switch and plug key devices into that? I'm not sure how Ruckus handles the guest SSID bit.
    If you're wanting a guest SSID and the like, you'd want an entirely managed switch infrastructure IMO. That way you can put the guest wireless into its own vlan separate from the rest of the network.

However, I believe you can create a guest SSID in ruckus without different vlans, as you can specify IP addresses that the client machines on the ruckus system wouldn't be allowed to connect to.

I'd suggest speaking to someone like Net-Ctrl and see what they suggest.

The thing is - if you're looking at these sort of features now, I'd be erring on the side of caution and going for managed gear as you're more than likely to want some other feature a short while down the road and its best to buy good stuff once, rather than cheap stuff twice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12