+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Different default gateway per VLAN in Technical; In essence my thread title explains my question. Is it possible (with an HP Procurve based LAN) to have a ...

Thank Post

Different default gateway per VLAN

In essence my thread title explains my question.

Is it possible (with an HP Procurve based LAN) to have a different default gateway for each VLAN?

For example (and this is a very simplified example)...

VLAN 1 (10.1.1.0/24 - normal network clients) need the core switch to send traffic to a default gateway of 10.1.1.1 (Smoothwall NIC 1)
    VLAN 999 (10.2.1.0/24 - iPads and other such tablets) need the core switch to send traffic to a default gateway of 10.2.1.1 (Smoothwall NIC 2, set as a transparent proxy with SSL based auth)

I seem to be only able to set one global default gateway on my core switch (5412zl).

*UPDATE* I've had a break from typing this and I've now got to the point where I'm pretty sure I'm approaching this the wrong way and what I need to do is setup custom routes on my switch to route traffic depending upon the source location. Does that sound right?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like how its set up on my A5800s; I can only set an IP and mask for a VLAN interface, not a gateway, but there's no end of static routes set up for different client & management VLANs.

Thank Post
    Ta - I'm not sure if I can setup different default routes based on traffic source though. Doesn't look like it's possible to do it.

I may have to think about this from a different angle. Essentially the issue is Smoothwall authentication and iPads... meh. I need more coffee.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thinking about it, wouldn't you actually set the default gateway on the DHCP scope options for that VLAN?

Thank Post
    Yep... but that would have to be the IP address of the VLAN on the switch surely? Otherwise how would traffic route between VLANs?
    Unless I make the Smoothwall box do the routing, but I'm not sure a) if it can. b) if that's not a really naff idea.
    Last edited by pantscat; 25th April 2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: general sloppiness and lack of attention to detail.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, fair point. Didn't think about that. Flu is still eating my brain alive.

Looks like the Smoothwall can do some routing - it has sections for subnets and RIP - but don't know if it could meet needs.

If it's entirely guest wireless it shouldn't matter about the rest of the network, of course, but I imagine it includes school kit that needs access to domain servers?

Thank Post
    Exactly that... it's school kit that ideally would use the DCs for DHCP and DNS resolution. It doesn't really need to access much else... but you never know!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread