+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, How do i send voice data to one gateway and data to a different gateway in Technical; I'd appreciate if someone could give me an answer to the following scenario: If i have a desktop PC with ...

Thank Post

How do i send voice data to one gateway and data to a different gateway

I'd appreciate if someone could give me an answer to the following scenario:

If i have a desktop PC with a softphone installed, is it possible to route the voice traffic through 1 router to go out on a separate adsl line, and then route the data traffic to go out on another separate dsl line? And i dont want to have 2 nics in the desktop PC or 2 physical switches. It would be through 1 nic, to a small switch which then goes into the main switch which then goes out to the appropriate router and then the internet. Is this do-able, does it make a difference if i use a hard phone as opposed to a softphone?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    yes you should be able to setup a static route on the machine.

You would need to know the IP you want to connect to and then

route -p add ip.of.phone.system gw ip.of.gate.way that should then add a perminate static route going out that way.

Thank Post
    ok you seem to know a lot more than me on this, i've never really dabbled in routing. So if i have my desktop that goes through a small switch then into a larger switch and from there if its data i want it to go from the main switch to a router and content filter device which then goes out to the net and if its voice i want it to go from the main switch to the a hosted phone system on linux which is then connected to a router which then has the other dsl line modem attached to it.

So for data i need to set the ip of the content filtering/router device and the same address for gateway? and for voice data it would be what? the linux box which hosts the phone system and the gateway would be the router that it plugs into which the voice dsl lines go into?

If so, then on the desktops how do i actually do this, is that a command line you typed, is there anyway of doing it through a UI which may be a bit more user friendly?

Thank Post
    the above is wrong i forgot to add the subnet in

for the data do nothing (this will be sent using the default gateway set in IP settings). Then at an elevated command prompt (i.e right click run as admin)

then if the IP phone system was at 10.10.10.10 and the router you need to use is at 15.15.15.15 then you would use

route -p add 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.255 gw 15.15.15.15

gw might be gateway I can't remember

EDIT: no other way to do it!
    Last edited by glennda; 19th April 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Thank Post
    ok thanks so much for that, just a couple of questions, what is the -p switch, how does it know to route voice traffic, i was struggling to how it would be able to differentiate both types if its going through a softphone installed on the desktop?

Also once this is done is there a way of checking something to see whether or not this is in place on the desktop or not, or would you just have to do it again to be sure?

Thank Post
    the -p switch is to save to the registry (so it doesn't remove on reboot). It doesn't know its voice traffic as such it just routes anything to the phone system out that way (so if you tried to connect via the internet to the phone system it would go that way).

Yes to test you would then run traceroute 10.10.10.10 and make sure it goes to the IP of the gateway first (which it should do)

Thank Post
    ok so let me get this straight, if it already knows that traffic is being routed to the phone system, then why would you need to set this up if its already going that way, because i'm assuming then on the phone system you can set the gateway to the desired router there?

I just am struggling to see how if you are working away, browsing the internet and talking on the phone, at what point something knows to send the voice data one way and the internet data the other. sorry i'm probably being stupid.

Thank Post
    ah ok - sorry I have just re-read the original post - if the phone system and the phones are on the same subnet you won't need to set the routes on the desktop (i thought the phone system was hosted online). You would probably need 2 nics on the phone system one connected to the second router and for you to setup on the phone system for that router to be its default gateway.

Toby

Thank Post
    ok yeah that makes more sense, so on the phone server, 2 nics, 1 to the main switch and 1 to the 2nd router and to set the gateway on the phone system as the 2nd router. That way all voice traffic will end up on the phone server and that will send it the right way? ok thanks for that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    ah ok - sorry I have just re-read the original post - if the phone system and the phones are on the same subnet you won't need to set the routes on the desktop (i thought the phone system was hosted online). You would probably need 2 nics on the phone system one connected to the second router and for you to setup on the phone system for that router to be its default gateway.
    Could you do that with vlans on the NIC itself using software? we have some virtual fabric NIC's that can have upto 8 virtual NICs in the hardware (for FoE, Iscsi, NFS etc) I just wonder if you could do this on software?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Could you do that with vlans on the NIC itself using software? we have some virtual fabric NIC's that can have upto 8 virtual NICs in the hardware (for FoE, Iscsi, NFS etc) I just wonder if you could do this on software?
    you could but you would open up the second router to the possibility of non phone traffic using it and therefore avoiding any filtering - you would just need setup the nic as being vlan aware that can easily be done.

With regards to the phone system just make sure you set a default gateway on the external nic not the internal one otherwise it will get confused with its routing.

12. Thanks to glennda from:

CyberNerd (19th April 2012)

Thank Post
    thanks for your help!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCan View Post
    thanks for your help!
    not a problem - its what we are here for! I have just done all of that myself!

Out of interest are you just using an asterisk installation?

I've done FreePBX and its brilliant!

Thank Post
    im using something called trixbox which is some way connected to asterisk i think, i'm not really clear on it to be honest, only just getting to grips with it so im on the lookout for help guidance and how to upgrade as i have a feeling its dated and the hardware its on is struggling and running at capacity

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCan View Post
    im using something called trixbox which is some way connected to asterisk i think, i'm not really clear on it to be honest, only just getting to grips with it so im on the lookout for help guidance and how to upgrade as i have a feeling its dated and the hardware its on is struggling and running at capacity
    I doubt the hardware will struggle its not that resource intensive - I've used trixbox in my experimenting but went with FreePBX due to ease of use at the backend - they are both front ends to asterisk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast