+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Poor quality patch leads - only get a connection when pushed hard? in Technical; Anyone else had this? I bought a load of 0.5m patch leads from Comms Express last year and they really ...

Thank Post

Poor quality patch leads - only get a connection when pushed hard?

Anyone else had this? I bought a load of 0.5m patch leads from Comms Express last year and they really arn't good. They seem to exhibit a problem I've seen before - they dont get a connection unless you make an extra push into the patch panel, meaning that moving a cable can disconnect loads of others...really annoying. I'm hoping someone knows what I mean here!

I initially thought it could be the patch panel but I've re-terminated the room in question to a much better one and the problem persists. When I replace them with other cables, the problem dissapears.

Is this an issue with Comms Express cables or budget cables in general? They were cheap, about 46p each, but over a quid seems a lot for a cable, especially when you need stacks of them

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    I have not seen this but I guess down to the RJ45 connectors, could be a suspect batch. I don't think it's worth cutting corners with cables though, have had a couple of issues traced back to poor network connections and once you spend 10mins trying to sort out an issue that turns out to be a dodgy cable you have lost any savings gained.

I would speak to the suppliers, you probably won't be the first.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 19th April 2012 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Agree, might have to go for more expensive in future. I just liked Comms Express a lot and thought that even though they were cheap, they would be good. But yeah could just have been a dodgy batch - I bought some 1m cables at the same time and whilst I use a lot less of them for patching in cabinets, I haven't had any problems

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Anyone else had this? I bought a load of 0.5m patch leads from Comms Express last year and they really arn't good. They seem to exhibit a problem I've seen before - they dont get a connection unless you make an extra push into the patch panel, meaning that moving a cable can disconnect loads of others...really annoying. I'm hoping someone knows what I mean here!

I initially thought it could be the patch panel but I've re-terminated the room in question to a much better one and the problem persists. When I replace them with other cables, the problem dissapears.

Is this an issue with Comms Express cables or budget cables in general? They were cheap, about 46p each, but over a quid seems a lot for a cable, especially when you need stacks of them
    When you plug the RJ45 connector in the socket does it secure in place? If not, try removing it and flexing the clip upwards to reshape (hope that makes sense) the clip and see if that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread