+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Slow Fibre Connection in Technical; Morning just wondering If anyone has experienced this, my current set-up is 3 building, 1 has server, 2 then 3. ...

Thank Post

Slow Fibre Connection

Morning just wondering If anyone has experienced this, my current set-up is 3 building, 1 has server, 2 then 3. I have a fibre connection from 1 to 2 then to 3. Connections in building 2 are great to building 1 but in 3 which connects via 2 we have very slow connections.

Done a few tests - 730MB file from DC02 to desktop of client.

To machine in building 2 - 1 min 25 sec
    To machine in building 3 -6 min 29 sec and another machine in building 3 5 min 04 sec.

Shot.JPG

Can anyone help me with this one ?

Thanks in Advance James

Thank Post
    Hi James,

Is it identical equipment in all areas? Do you have managed switches? If so - perhaps check the port statistics for your links between buildings 2 and 3... this might give you a pretty good clue.

Do you have just one pair of fibres to each location?

Thank Post
    I think it would help if you gave a little more information on how everything is connected.

Thank Post
    Well think ive got to the bottom of it, the setup in Building 3 is 3Com switch with fibre then 2 switches that connect to this. Copied a file when plugged into 3com without fibre 7 min 28, but a direct connection into the 3com switch with the fibre less that 1 min. So Im 99% sure that is the root of the problem, my least fav job is changing switches :-(

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhothersall View Post
    Well think ive got to the bottom of it, the setup in Building 3 is 3Com switch with fibre then 2 switches that connect to this. Copied a file when plugged into 3com without fibre 7 min 28, but a direct connection into the 3com switch with the fibre less that 1 min. So Im 99% sure that is the root of the problem, my least fav job is changing switches :-(
    So, in your opinion: what is the problem, and how is getting a new switch going to fix it?

Thank Post
    Well I going to test it with a newly unboxed 3Com switch to see if that increase the speed if it does then Ill replace .. I will be rebooting the switches before I do that, unless you think that the wrong thing to do?

Thank Post
    How are the switches connected? Are they managed 3Com switches?

Thank Post
    Well I going to test it with a newly unboxed 3Com switch to see if that increase the speed if it does then Ill replace .. I will be rebooting the switches before I do that, unless you think that the wrong thing to do?
    Based on what you have said, I'm guessing that you have your switch connected to the fibre switch using Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) ...is that correct? If so, how many other machines are connected to that (non-fibre) switch?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Could be auto-neg fail over the fibre - might be worth setting to a 1000 full duplex on either end if you can and see if it improves. Other then that I would get the fiber tested if you can't work it out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Gigabit fibre modules are cheap these days, with the arrival of 10Gbps. If the fibre is operating at 100Mbps, it should be upgraded (if supported). OM2 or OM3 fibre is required.

Thank Post
    Well both are unmanaged I believe ill investigate, Mehmet your right, this is affecting both switches connected to the fibre switch, I've restarted both switches and ill report back.

Thank Post
    Well both are unmanaged I believe ill investigate, Mehmet your right, this is affecting both switches connected to the fibre switch, I've restarted both switches and ill report back.
    Is this not simply a case of not having enough bandwidth, then? If you have a 100 Mbps uplink to the fibre with multiple devices connecting to that (non-fibre) switch, then there's no way you're going to be able to get the full 100 Mbps as you are limited by the 100 Mbps uplink (which I imagine is being shared by multiple devices). What you could try doing is disconnecting all devices from the non-fibre switch except from one host, and then try the transfer from that single host.
    Last edited by Mehmet; 19th April 2012 at 02:51 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread