+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Clocks on servers & clients are half an hour slow - how to fix? in Technical; I'm not actually sure how this has happened, but I've just noticed that all clocks, on servers and all clients ...

Thank Post

Clocks on servers & clients are half an hour slow - how to fix?

I'm not actually sure how this has happened, but I've just noticed that all clocks, on servers and all clients are half an hour slow. I imagine because they are ALL wrong then we're not getting any issues with Kerberos (hence why I've only just noticed it) but how do I go about getting it set correctly? Just change the clocks on the DC's?
    Last edited by sidewinder; 10th April 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Thank Post
    In the long run best bet would be to sync your DCs with an NTP source then everything will be fully accurate as the clients sync with the PDC

Thank Post
    Just change the time on your primary DC and this should solve it for you!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you using any virtualisation?

TheLibrarian
    DC's (and VMWare hypervisors) are pick about their time source, IIRC it has to be a stratum 1 or the DC won't sync.

Just changing the time on the primary DC could cause authentication issues; be careful.
    @sister_annex set time services up; we take a stratum 16 time sync from the local authority and then pass it on as a stratum 1 using Meinberg's Time Server Monitor. I'm sure there was more to it than just this and I'm pretty sure @sister_annex will pipe up soon if anyone wants to ask him about it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ben View Post
    Are you using any virtualisation?
    Yes...and it was only last week I was reading a thread where someone warned not to let the virtual DC's sync from the host and I thought 'ah, I better change that'
    I actually added a physical DC last week, whether that has anything to do with it I don't know, it's probably more down to the virtual DCs I would guess

Edit: actually yes, because a virtual one was still the PDC emulator. I've now changed that to the physical DC
    Last edited by sidewinder; 10th April 2012 at 12:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Yes...and it was only last week I was reading a thread where someone warned not to let the virtual DC's sync from the host and I thought 'ah, I better change that'
    I actually added a physical DC last week, whether that has anything to do with it I don't know, it's probably more down to the virtual DCs I would guess
    That what I was thinking - I managed to set up a loop where the host would ask the virtual DC for the time, and then sync it back to the virtual DC - we were losing around 20 minutes per week, which was then propagated around the network.

If you have done that changing the time on the first DC, then forcing the other DC's to sync should be enough to start the process off.

use: w32tm /resync at the command prompt to force a resync on the other controllers.

Thank Post
    All sorted now....I did it in 5 minute chunks, re-synched DC's and checked a few clients had updated before I did the next change - seemed a bit risky doing it all at once since I assume there would be authentication problems if the clocks got too far apart.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread