+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Wired Networks Thread, 10GB networks backbones needed? in Technical; Originally Posted by snoerre Hm, which features are you talking about? Is it the optional 10Gbe you are talking? Softwarewise ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snoerre View Post
    Hm, which features are you talking about? Is it the optional 10Gbe you are talking? Softwarewise I cannot find anything the 2910 is able to do the 3Com cannot. Btw, is there´s an area where the V1910 doesn´t have an HP warranty, the 2910 wouldn´t have that one there, either...
    The 1910 runs comware 5.2 - the same O/S as high end switches such as our 5800, 4900 core series, whereas the 2910 is the old procurve range.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,674 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hm, which features are you talking about? Is it the optional 10Gbe you are talking? Softwarewise I cannot find anything the 2910 is able to do the 3Com cannot. Btw, is there´s an area where the V1910 doesn´t have an HP warranty, the 2910 wouldn´t have that one there, either...

As I mentioned before, both are non blocking switches. So both deliver "true gigabit"
    Bigger backplane throughput, better routing engine, 10GB abilities, better software - I preffer the hp line stuff - , better warrenty in all areas (the e series has lifetime even in NZ as opposed to the 3 year of the V) and its heavier - meaning in general that it has stronger components like better PSUs or heavier duty boards.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    better software - I preffer the hp line stuff
    I'm in the other camp, and have a lot of 3com stuff and a few procurve bits.
    With the 3com acquisition, much of the industry speculated that HP would drop the procurve software in favour of comware. I'm surprised they've kept two platforms running this long, probably to keep existing customers happy for the lower end procurves - if you have a lot of H3C/3com or procurve it's worth keeping consistency in operating systems. So I guess if you have procurves then 2910 is the way forward, they are both budget switches I'd probably have an A3600 anyway

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm in the other camp, and have a lot of 3com stuff and a few procurve bits.
    With the 3com acquisition, much of the industry speculated that HP would drop the procurve software in favour of comware. I'm surprised they've kept two platforms running this long, probably to keep existing customers happy for the lower end procurves - if you have a lot of H3C/3com or procurve it's worth keeping consistency in operating systems. So I guess if you have procurves then 2910 is the way forward, they are both budget switches I'd probably have an A3600 anyway
    The e2910 48 ports still cost around $6k here in we-can-rip-you-off land so budget is not really a word I'd use to describe them here. The V series is around $2k.

I think long term hp is going with the 3com OS but probably merged with the hp one which is why there are still two as they have not merged them together yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    The e2910 48 ports still cost around $6k here in we-can-rip-you-off land so budget is not really a word I'd use to describe them here. The V series is around $2k.

I think long term hp is going with the 3com OS but probably merged with the hp one which is why there are still two as they have not merged them together yet.
    $6k my god! They are around $3000/3500 here (GB£1500-1800)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    $6k my god! They are around $3000/3500 here (GB£1500-1800)
    Yeap, welcome to NZ pricing. And we only get a hold of new stuff a year or so after its released everywhere else.

Thank Post
    Well, as SYNACK mentioned, the V1910 is H3C Comware 5.2 based. The current firmware is over 10MB and has many features to offer. V-series vor 2k? Well, you should change your seller: HP Switch V1910 | Geizhals.at EU

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, as SYNACK mentioned, the V1910 is H3C Comware 5.2 based. The current firmware is over 10MB and has many features to offer. V-series vor 2k? Well, you should change your seller: HP Switch V1910 | Geizhals.at EU
    I don't live in the EU.

Thank Post
    I don't live in the EU.
    Sorry SYNACK, haven´t seen the "New Zealand"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To paraphrase a Network Architect I knew a few years ago: Procurve - good custom hardware hampered by an aging OS with poor support (HP Gold partner, $3Bn revenue fwiw). Comware - a remarkable IOS like OS from a Chinese company running on comodity silicon, but who in their right mind would trust the 3Com brand after that stunt they pulled in 2000? (they supported a lot of 3COM clients)

However that branding problem is now gone. HP have commited (apparently) to running both lines for the foreseable future. That said, they were pushing comware products 18 months ago, but a quick look now and most solutions come back based around Procurve products (I think -- it is very hard to tell without spending an inordinate amount of time researching)... perhaps they bought a brand but the brain trust remained in China... who knows?

The V1910 is an edge device. It will always be limited by its uplink to the core of the network. 10GBe is irrelevent in this line. If it became needed, then a 10GBe capable switch in the future could be installed at the top of the rack and provide LACP trunks down to the V1910s. Also just looking at the specs the V1910 has per port buffers, the procurve has a shared buffer across all ports. The marketing from 18 months ago was all about choosing the right sized switch for its position and load in your LAN. The idea being that for a LAN the size of a school you would save so much with cheap simple edge switchest hat you could afford to buy spares and a PCM licence and still have money left over to spend on front line kit.

Though horses for courses of course.

Randomly I was researching a tangent and stumled upon this: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...-switches.html
    which seems relevent to the OP's question.
    Last edited by psydii; 10th April 2012 at 11:26 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345