+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, 10GB networks backbones needed? in Technical; According to LSI, their switches can be used in failover - just connect a channel to each switch from each ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to LSI, their switches can be used in failover - just connect a channel to each switch from each device and set up on the web interface on the switches.

Not sure about clustering though.

Completely understand your trepidation and preparation - Bristol is particularly 'cut throat' with school catchments and kids choosing schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5 View Post
    I am assessing my current network and trying to future proof the network by looking at 10GB backbone. Only reason I am looking into it because we are looking at one to one devices to every child so potentially we would have over 1500 devices on the network. Majority of it will be on the wireless. Should I consider 10GB to 1GIG poe? Then upgrade my servers to 10GB connection to the core or am I over thinking it to much?

Any suggestions?

At present I have two virtual host servers with an MD3200i with two iSCSI switches with MPIO round robin. All running on Hyper V.

Thanks in advance

Ross
    It's difficult to say whether you would benefit from upgrading to 10Gb without seeing your network topology and typical bandwidth usage. I'd also be interested to see how you plan on connecting 1500 devices wirelessly; how many devices will you be connecting per wireless router? What wireless router are you planning on using?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    pretty much in the same boat with the 1:1 ratio planned.
    I'm putting in the 10gigabit core tomorrow - 4x A5800's (24 10GbE ports) and 2 x BNT 20 port 10GbE switches.

I would also say that 10GbE is necessary if are using virtualisation heavily - a physical server with a couple of gigabit NIC's isn't going to hold up very long if you have a few network heavy servers running on it.

Thank Post
    Considering you are planning to future proof your set up and are expecting a lot more wireless devices to come into the network and also have 'N' standard wireless, 10GbE is a no brainer IMO. Having a solid backbone plays a key role to the full network infrastructure. As time goes on, there will be increased demands that smaller device will place on bandwidth requirements also and this needs to be factored in also.

Thank Post
    We currently have 80 Aruba 105 N access points the system was specced to support 30 devices per classroom. Its not really been tested because that would be a lot of kit needed!

I could spend a lot of time working on this. Could any suggest south west companies who could provide the kit and recommend a solution?

Thanks for everyones comments its good to have validation

Ross

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Do you really need 10Gb speeds in schools - in my opinon, no, overkill

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Do you really need 10Gb speeds in schools - in my opinon, no, overkill
    when would you need it? 2,000 devices? 5,000?

Thank Post
    Couple of sites I ran a few years ago with 3,000 devices+ (desktops, servers, waps, printers etc) ran pefectly fine without a 10Gb Infrastructure, I know and speak to alot of (high up!) network engineers and they all say 10Gb Infrastructure for a school (for example) is just wild! and will take a very very very long time get used to there full potential.
    Last edited by IanT; 4th April 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Couple of sites I ran a few years ago with 3,000 devices+ (desktops, servers, waps, printers etc) ran pefectly fine without a 10Gb Infrastructure, I know and speak to alot of (high up!) network engineers and they all say 10Gb Infrastructure for a school (for example) is just wild! and will take a very very very long time get used to there full potential.
    You had 3000+ devices, booting up at the same time, connecting to the same file servers and you didn't notice and bandwidth delays or iscsi bottlenecks on gigabit switching. I'm impressed.
    How did you do it?

Thank Post
    Dont quite understand why your surprised!

Thank Post
    Things have changed a lot in a few years though Ian, a few years ago I would have suggested dual 1GbE to be fine myself. However looking forward, with the popularity of mobile devices and increased bandwidth requirements, I don't think that multiple gigabit links will cut it. If the budget is available to upgrade to 10GbE then I would say do it while you can as it's not something that you would regret.

Thank Post
    Dont quite understand why your surprised!
    because that amount of devices on one file server with 2 NIC's equates to about 1.5Kb/s.
    The only way I could imagine that you could go it is with multiple clusters and FC SAN.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by east View Post
    Things have changed a lot in a few years though Ian, a few years ago I would have suggested dual 1GbE to be fine myself. However looking forward, with the popularity of mobile devices and increased bandwidth requirements, I don't think that multiple gigabit links will cut it. If the budget is available to upgrade to 10GbE then I would say do it while you can as it's not something that you would regret.
    Yes, I'm aware of that "east".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some scenarios where 10GB/s will help:

1000 users all logging on for the first time to that computer with roaming profiles from 6 load-balanced RP servers with the RPs host as VMs with the VHDs on a 10Gb iscsi SAN SSDs.. then 10GB from your VM hosts to your core, and from your core to the next tier of switches will give you better through put than if you only had 1Gb links.

Software installation and large image deployments/updates. If you are transferring a large number of large files between clients and servers then 10GB/s links will make a difference. However you need to look at your server links to your SAN and you need to carefully load balance the work across your highly tuned file servers and physical disks to make any use of it.

10GB/s will also help with traditional backup and restore speeds. If you are still running traditional backups.

If you are primarily going BYOD then your load will be distributed across all your ports into your core and from there the bottleneck will be to the internet, unless you are lucky enough to have a multi-Gb/s pipe, in whihch case the chances are your bottleneck will be your proxy and firewall throughput.

When I had silly money available and worked somewhere that regularly had 30/60 students shifting multi-GB files about the LAN on an hourly basis, 10GB from core to the top of rack switches made sense.

In a school where we don't do that then the only 10GB link is between the two core switches. The servers have 4x 1Gb to the SAN and Core. This is an ORDER of MAGNITUDE cheaper than 10GB to all cabinets, and if anything performs better.

HTH

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast