+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Cisco Gear, LanSchool & VLANS in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cisco Gear, LanSchool & VLANS

Hello.

At the place i am doing some work at they have Cisco switches and a few VLANS. LanSchool will not see student machines in another VLAN.

I have been sent this information on how to get this working, but i have no idea how to do this. I was wondering if someone can help please?

Thanks

Some VLAN hardware will make the teacherís subnet unreachable from the studentsí subnet. For this environment to properly function with LANSchool, the VLAN must be configured to forward IP Multicast data in the address range of 239.0.208.0 to 239.0.208.255. It also must allow all traffic on port 796 (0x031C) (either source or destination) to freely move between the subnets. If this cannot be configured, LANSchool will not properly function.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lets start simple lol are they using difrent subnets? if so is there a router between them if there is you will need to change the ACL's on the router and posibly switch to allow trafic to pass between them it's not set by default but it sounds as though it has been set. if u need help setting any of this just ask its been a while scince i have changed acl's but i do have all the cisco ccna training material at my side :P. might be worth looking at a ccna book it will be able to provide you with indepth knoladge and how to set up things like switches routers routeing ACL's etc.

the idea of vlans is that you cant see between them for security or load management. unless this is allowed by the (ACL or router).
    p.s some layer 3 switches will also route trafic.
    Last edited by januttall; 27th March 2012 at 02:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The main switch is a Cisco Catalyst 6000 for one building and then a 3550 for another. The one with the 3550 routes through the one with the 6000. I am pretty sure this is configured on there.

You can send traffic between the VLANS all machines in the VLANS are on the same domain.

We have 3 VLANs in one building (the one with the 3550) and 1 in the other.

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 27th March 2012 at 02:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Might not be applicable here, but I believe you will also need to ensure the switches have the IP Advanced Services firmware on them in order to route multicast traffic correctly across switches in the same VLAN let alone different VLANs.

Ours had the IP Basic OS on them originally and after we moved to VLANs from a single flat network we had the devil of a job working out why multicast stuff wouldn't route properly despite the config on the switches appearing correct.

For instance, our Exterity digital TV server could only be accessed by clients wishing to view content on the VLAN it was in on the switch it was physically plugged in to - even though it would respond on its HTML management port to requests made from any VLAN.

Turned out it was our Cisco switches having the IP base firmware on them. Upgraded to IP Advanced services and that was that.
    Last edited by TheCrust; 27th March 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    this might sound daft but does all trafic get between vlans or just some ? and if so you need to set ACL's in the switch your server pulgs into. can all Vlans can contact the server ip range but not other Vlans other wise there would be little point in haveing them set up(other than to minimise braudcast traffic) wich on a school network of a few hundred devises shuldnt be to bad.

we have about 450 Pcs accross the school all on the same vlan.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by januttall View Post
    this might sound daft but does all trafic get between vlans or just some ? and if so you need to set ACL's in the switch your server pulgs into. can all Vlans can contact the server ip range but not other Vlans other wise there would be little point in haveing them set up(other than to minimise braudcast traffic) wich on a school network of a few hundred devises shuldnt be to bad.

we have about 450 Pcs accross the school all on the same vlan.
    They can all talk to each other. The school has about 1,000 computers.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Just registered to this forum when I noticed my google alert went off with your question. As I'm New they won't let me post URL's, so here is an image of where you should go to check out some documentation that could help on your issues with LanSchool. Capture.PNG

Specifically take a look at the second on "transport protocols & IP Subnets with VLAN's"

Hope this helps

8. Thanks to CobyLanSchool from:

FN-GM (2nd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CobyLanSchool View Post
    Just registered to this forum when I noticed my google alert went off with your question. As I'm New they won't let me post URL's, so here is an image of where you should go to check out some documentation that could help on your issues with LanSchool. Capture.PNG

Specifically take a look at the second on "transport protocols & IP Subnets with VLAN's"

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the post. I have not looked into this as yet will have a look at it soon. It looks complicated so i am not sure i will do it to be honest.

I will look though. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Hello.

At the place i am doing some work at they have Cisco switches and a few VLANS. LanSchool will not see student machines in another VLAN.

I have been sent this information on how to get this working, but i have no idea how to do this. I was wondering if someone can help please?

Thanks
    Hi FN-GM,

Can you please confirm that you have configured inter-vlan routing and can indeed ping between the two VLANs. Please also confirm whether you are able to ping from BOTH sides. Lastly, do you have any Access Control List configured on the devices?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
    Hi FN-GM,

Can you please confirm that you have configured inter-vlan routing and can indeed ping between the two VLANs. Please also confirm whether you are able to ping from BOTH sides. Lastly, do you have any Access Control List configured on the devices?
    We can ping from both sides not sure about an Access Control List.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Are you able to access the CLI and check the configuration on both switches? Are there any other switches in the path other than the two you have mentioned? Also have you tried disabling firewalls temporarily to see if that's the problem?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can get into the CLI yes, i am not sure how to getup the info required, i am no good with network and cisco

Thank Post
    I can get into the CLI yes, i am not sure how to getup the info required, i am no good with network and cisco
    If you bring the CLI up and enter "enable" that will bring you into privileged EXEC mode, you then need to enter "show running-config" to get the current configuration.

Also, have you tried disabling the firewall on both sides to check whether the traffic is being filtered?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When you say Firewall do you mean on the networking gear or the clients?

Thank Post
    When you say Firewall do you mean on the networking gear or the clients?
    That's going to depend on whether or not there is a physical firewall between the source and the destination.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast