+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, MASSIVE drop in speed between being plugged into the main switch and a network port in Technical; So ignore the small unmanaged switches as the speed loss occurs before they even come into play. Try unplugging these. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    So ignore the small unmanaged switches as the speed loss occurs before they even come into play.
    Try unplugging these. just on the off chance they are causing issues, network loops etc.

It seems difficult to imaging that ALL the network ports are mis-wired, but a cable tester would tell you.

can you do a constant ping to the switch? and do ALL ports work ok when plugged directly into the switch?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Yup Duplex Mis-match is a good idea - When i first read the post it sound like when he plug pc-switch he got 48mb when he plugged pc-wall-switch he got 10 (which made me think cabling). Plugging directly into a router which has a gig port would mean he could use the full 50Mb line whereas going via the switch at 100Mbits/s would mean only a max of 12.5Mbytes/s down the cable.

I made that mistake a while ago when I thought my core transfer speeds where slow.
    Hang on, he's taken the small switches out of the problem now.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Try unplugging these. just on the off chance they are causing issues, network loops etc.

It seems difficult to imaging that ALL the network ports are mis-wired, but a cable tester would tell you.

can you do a constant ping to the switch? and do ALL ports work ok when plugged directly into the switch?
    I can unplug everything but i'll have to do that out of hours so cant test that just now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCan View Post
    I can unplug everything but i'll have to do that out of hours so cant test that just now.
    I think you will need to try it, it seems too strange to be a cabling issue on all cables. I would have said a network loop overloading the gigabit switch is more likely, unless you can be 100% sure it's fine when plugged to all ports on the gig switch.

Did you try a constant ping yet "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t" where xxx is switch IP ?

Thank Post
    I think you will need to try it, it seems too strange to be a cabling issue on all cables. I would have said a network loop overloading the gigabit switch is more likely, unless you can be 100% sure it's fine when plugged to all ports on the gig switch.

Did you try a constant ping yet "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t" where xxx is switch IP ?
    Yep if i ping its pretty much constantly <1ms.

Monday morning i'll take everything out of the main switch then walk round every wall point and test and see if its consistent

Thank Post
    Yep if i ping its pretty much constantly <1ms.
    Sounds even more strange. Can you log into the switch?, check that it's not something dumb like certain ports being limited to 10Mb.

Thank Post
    Sounds even more strange. Can you log into the switch?, check that it's not something dumb like certain ports being limited to 10Mb.
    all are set to 100 Full. just checked.

Thank Post
    sorry apart from the fiber port which is 1000 Full and another port set to 1000 but i'll need to check why and whats plugged into, but everything else is 100 Full, nothing set to 10

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    hence my point about the 12.5Mb limit although it is stange that you can get 48mb when directly connected to switch - you are not putting laptop in gig slot on device when you test that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    hence my point about the 12.5Mb limit although it is stange that you can get 48mb when directly connected to switch - you are not putting laptop in gig slot on device when you test that?
    nope tried it in a few which are all set to 100 FULL

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What happens if you set a test port to AUTO?

Thank Post
    Hang on this main switch you are using for testing - it may well only have 4 100/1000 ports and the others may be 10/100. If this is the case and your plugging in toa 10/100 port you'll never get more than 12.5mb/s and that's a theoretical maximum.

Before you go rewiring rooms tell us exactly the make and model of the switch.

I would also say that you would be better of not using the ADSL connection to test but drop a large file on the server and use a stopwatch to time exacly how long it takes to copy to your PC in various locations around the school.

Thank Post
    Switch is - PLANET GSW-1602SF

I think i set the port to auto on Friday and got the same result. I'm waiting for the opportunity to unplug to unplug everything and test wall points indvidually this week. A question about fiber, can i just unplug and re-plug that it like i do ethernet, does it work the same or not as i seem to have it in my head that it doesnt so i'm a bit worried about unplugging and then having no connectivity when i plug back in?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12