+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Silent (or quiet) 48 port gigabit switch for classroom? in Technical; We have a HP ProCurve 2900-48G in a classroom but the teacher is rightly complaining about the amount of noise ...

Thank Post

Question Silent (or quiet) 48 port gigabit switch for classroom?

We have a HP ProCurve 2900-48G in a classroom but the teacher is rightly complaining about the amount of noise it generates.

I've found a couple of threads about silent switches in the past but nothing recent. So far the only solutions I've seen involve replacing or disconnecting fans. I would happily cut a hole in the top of the existing switch and install a large 12v quiet fan but obviously that would void the warranty.

Our goal moving forward is to only purchase switches with gigabit ports and 10Gb uplinks but I'm almost positive there aren't any switches that will give us 48xGb ports plus a 10Gb uplink without a fan. Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue? Space isn't a concern so we'd be happy with a less dense 2 or 3RU switch if it meant it ran quietly (POE not required).

We considered moving the cabinet but it is too expensive and our suggestion to swap classrooms (with a more lightly used room) was shot down.

Other suggestions have included soundproofing the cabinet but if the cabinet temperature gets too high there goes your warranty anyway...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We just ended up moving the cabinet, you can get quieter, stackable 24 port ones but as the speed goes up so does the heat output and noise. Don't kill the onboard fans, I had to deal with one that someone had helpfully do that to it. Dropped packets, half packets, uplinks etc. Just shocking and a fire hazard (got hot to the touch).

The big fan option is also a bit problematic as they are designed for the air to flow from side to side resulting in hot spots if cooled incorrectly. Can you not re-route the majority of the cables, we moved one of ours across a hallway as most of the cables went the same way so only 6 or so ports needed to be fully recabled. When working out the costs it pays to take into account all the future compromises and stuffing around by not just moving the cabinet now.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

matthewls (23rd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewls View Post
    Any suggestions on how to overcome this issue? Space isn't a concern so we'd be happy with a less dense 2 or 3RU switch if it meant it ran quietly (POE not required).
    Could you build your own? If you have 3U of space to spread the components over you could probably put together a passivly-cooled motherboard and a bunch of MicroTek components:

LinITX.com - MikroTik RouterBOARD

Thank Post
    How about two 24 port switches? The HP 2520_24G is very quiet...
    Or perhaps a "quiet cab": http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/qu...FWwntAodezipwg
    Last edited by pantscat; 21st March 2012 at 09:33 AM.

6. Thanks to pantscat from:

Thank Post
    It may be cheaper to re repatch all the network cables, how many cables go into the cabient i have got to move a cabient with 80 cables in it and fully thread 16 cables this is only about 2-3 days work at the max. May be cheaper for you to move the cabient.

8. Thanks to nathan3388 from:

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

SYNACK:
    Yeah, future compromises is a good point. And we don't want to have to deal with an intermittently malfunctioning switch in 6-12 months when summer hits again...

SYNACK and nathan3388:
    Moving the cabinet may be the way to go. It will mean either getting someone to splice the fibre or run a new connection though Not cheap either way!

dhicks:
    My inner geek thinks building our own would be cool but we're working hard to standardise equipment and processes so our goal is to minimise the number of different brands and variations we have.

pantscat:
    Thanks for pointing out the 2520-24G, I hadn't found it in my previous searches. Thanks also for the link to the acoustic cabinets. I had assumed noise reducing cabinet meant airflow reducing also. Just got to find a vendor in Sydney who is willing to loan us one for a test to see if it improves the situation

Thanks for all the helpful replies!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread