+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Network scanning\auditing tool ? in Technical; Just found out that a local school my mate works for, needs a hand to work out what they have ...

Thank Post

Network scanning\auditing tool ?

Just found out that a local school my mate works for, needs a hand to work out what they have got, and what needs looking after, so they can get somebody in. In need be.

They had two IT people.

One done the IT work, and the other one was the assistant type bloke. (change toner, image machines)

The skilled IT one, left 6 months ago, and the assistant has kept things going, but its now a growing concern.

I had a look last week, and it seems to be about 300 machines, 2 dell servers, LTO back up device and 2 "servers" which are basicly base units.

There is some documentation, but its very sparse from what I can tell.

Are there any tools that I can run on the network, that I can just run from my laptop or a workstation, that will identify roles on the servers, specification, OS and installed software versions, no of user accounts etc.

Not fussed about the infrastructure yet, its more the servers. (Windows 2008 / R2)

I have access to admin passwords etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to networks forum.

Oh, and try The Dude which is probaly the best for a standalone network scan: MikroTik Routers and Wireless
    TBH, if the school, or even a technician who has been there for over 6 months doesn't know what they have got on their network then some heads need banging together.

Edited to add: There isn't anything that will tell you remotely about what the AD structure (users etc.) is like. Why not simply login to the servers and see for yourself? Using some standard Windows network tools can tell you all you need about what roles and features various servers hold.
    A network scanning tool is great for seeing what is on a network (as long as it is switched on of course), but looking in AD on a server will tell you far more accurately what is (or should be) out there.
    Yeah, it's not as glamorous as running James Bond software, but you will get the info you require quicker and easier.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 17th January 2012 at 08:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Spiceworks will give you a pretty detailed audit, so long as you fill it with user details with permissions to connect to the various devices (eg. an AD admin account, the user/password for the switches etc...).

Thank Post
    Cheers. got spice works on my laptop and ad manager.

TBH I don't really want to log onto the servers, as I think the current trend is you touched it, you broke it... with the bloke they have on site.

Thank Post
    I think this one can do that.Network Inventory Software for Windows: Audit and Track Network Computer Inventory (Hardware & Software)
    it is installed on the main PC only (or laptop or whatever u want), scans ur network and add them to the dfatabase. then u can view hardware and software configurations and track changes.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread