+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, WOL and PXEBoot Help on Switch Forwarding UDP in Technical; Hi All, We have a mixture of Procurve and Cisco on the edge of the network and Procurve as our ...

Thank Post

WOL and PXEBoot Help on Switch Forwarding UDP

Hi All,
    We have a mixture of Procurve and Cisco on the edge of the network and Procurve as our core.

I can perform a WOL request procurve to proccurve fine. But can't do procurve to Cisco I have been googleing it as you do and can't find a straight answer. We are also putting PXE Boot at the same time and was told we could run into a little bit of trouble there.

Any thoughts for me to try.

Thanks

Luke

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Hi, the cisco's are mainly layer two 2950's but I will have a look around at the document to see if I can get it working.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC64 View Post
    Hi All,
    I can perform a WOL request procurve to proccurve fine. But can't do procurve to Cisco I have been googleing it as you do and can't find a straight answer. We are also putting PXE Boot at the same time and was told we could run into a little bit of trouble there.
    If you're using the Cisco gear for inter-vlan routing then you use the IP Helper command to point it to your PXE boot server.

E.g. When used with a WDS server dishing out PXE boot resides in VLAN1 with IP address 192.168.1.1/24 and the client resides in VLAN2 which is subnet 192.168.2.0/24 you would enter the helper address under the virtual interface for Vlan2. (Edit: Assuming your inter-vlan routing is currently configured and working properly)

config#interface vlan2
    config-if#ip helper-address 192.168.1.1

I believe there's a similar command for Procurves if they're handling the inter-vlan routing, but the syntax may be different.

----------

WOL is causing me a headache at the moment as well. I have it working between 2 different VLANs fine. When I try and use it to wake up machines in a 3rd VLAN using the same ACLs allowing the same packets and protocol I get no joy. I know the packets are being sent because they're causing the ACL count to increment. The machines will also respond to WOL packets from within their own VLAN so WOL is working to some extent on the machines. If it didn't work at all I'd be less frustrated than having it work quite happily for one set of clients, but not another.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jtotheb View Post
    If you're using the Cisco gear for inter-vlan routing then you use the IP Helper command to point it to your PXE boot server.

E.g. When used with a WDS server dishing out PXE boot resides in VLAN1 with IP address 192.168.1.1/24 and the client resides in VLAN2 which is subnet 192.168.2.0/24 you would enter the helper address under the virtual interface for Vlan2. (Edit: Assuming your inter-vlan routing is currently configured and working properly)

config#interface vlan2
    config-if#ip helper-address 192.168.1.1

I believe there's a similar command for Procurves if they're handling the inter-vlan routing, but the syntax may be different.
    Wouldn't that command effect DHCP?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC64 View Post
    Wouldn't that command effect DHCP?
    It can also be used to direct clients to a DHCP server. You can have more than one IP helper address configured on Cisco switches. We've got ones for DHCP and one pointing at our WDS PXE boot machine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jtotheb View Post
    WOL is causing me a headache at the moment as well. I have it working between 2 different VLANs fine. When I try and use it to wake up machines in a 3rd VLAN using the same ACLs allowing the same packets and protocol I get no joy. I know the packets are being sent because they're causing the ACL count to increment. The machines will also respond to WOL packets from within their own VLAN so WOL is working to some extent on the machines. If it didn't work at all I'd be less frustrated than having it work quite happily for one set of clients, but not another.
    It wasn't working as I can't read. On the VLAN that it wasn't working for I had missed the IP helper address in the VLAN housing the WOL server pointing back to the broadcast address of the VLAN housing clients. Looking at this properly jogged my memory. Cheers guys.

Thank Post
    Sweet. I think I have cracked most of it now, I just need to wait for the SCCM guy to do his bits and then we can start testing it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread