+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, 100Mb fibre upgrade in Technical; I'm working in a school that has two buildings connected using Allied Telesis AT-MC101XL 100Mbit converters. Is there anything I ...

Thank Post

100Mb fibre upgrade

I'm working in a school that has two buildings connected using Allied Telesis AT-MC101XL 100Mbit converters. Is there anything I can slip in their place that will upgrade us to gigabit? We have a couple of Cisco Small Business SG 102-24 gigabit switches w/ 2 x combo SFP set up, if that's any use.

Thank Post
    all you should need to do is replace the Allied Telesis AT-MC101XL with Gb fibre converters such as Allied Telesis AT MC1008/GB Media converters

3. Thanks to Mcshammer_dj from:

BBrian (25th November 2011)

Thank Post
    What type of fibre is it? OM3?

Thank Post
    and distance?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 1,266 Posts
    We have a couple of Cisco Small Business SG 102-24 gigabit switches w/ 2 x combo SFP set up, if that's any use.
    You just need to swap the fibre cable and cut out the media converters completely. I'm guessing you're using an ST to ST cable at the moment (black and red each ends). One end connected to your fibre patch panel and the other end the media converter.

By swapping the cable to an ST > LC, you can then go from your fibre patch panel, directly to your fibre SFP module.

Of course I would double check all this, but it's easy to do and the cables are relatively cheap. Most likely you're going to need either an OM2 62.5/125 (normally grey) or 50/125 (normally orange).

7. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    Brilliant responses, thank you very much.

The buildings are pretty close, maybe 20m apart (plus internal distance).

It's currently an orange cable, black and red at each end.

Would I be correct in buying 1M Fibre Optic LC-ST Multi Mode Patch Lead 50/125 OM2 from eBay? It seems almost perfect, but does the LC end fit directly into the Cisco SFP or do I need a converter? I'm a bit thrown by calling the same thing SFP and LC, if they are.

The converters look to be about €100 after delivery, so ideally the eBay link will do.

It's less than fun trying to map out networks other people have set up! There's at least one room and one mystery port that I haven't figured out yet (no, they don't match!).

Thank Post
    You will need a module from Cisco to insert into the SFP port on the Cisco switch. The LC-ST cable would then plug into the module in the SFP slot.

10. Thanks to netadmin from:

Thank Post
    You also need to make sure that the fibre patch lead you buy is the same sort of fibre as the "backbone" cable... e.g. 50/125 or 62.5/125.

Thank Post
    Which is usually printed on the cable if you can get to it.

Thank Post
    More than likely (as the cable's orange), you'll need an LC > ST 50/125 cable, but as others have stated it should be printed on the cable. I have come across some installations however where it's very difficult to tell, but normally you'll be able to tell from at least one of the patch cables.

You'll also need a GLC-SX-MM module for each switch, but please check compatibility before buying them!

2 x GLC-SX-MM
    2 x LC > ST 50/125 cable

It should then connect automatically once both ends are connected. If not, then check the cables are properly connected. Hope this helps!

14. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    (We have some orange 62.5/125 and when I started some miss matched patch cables) The only real way to know is read what's printed.

16. Thanks to Finch7 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    More than likely (as the cable's orange), you'll need an LC > ST 50/125 cable, but as others have stated it should be printed on the cable. I have come across some installations however where it's very difficult to tell, but normally you'll be able to tell from at least one of the patch cables.

You'll also need a GLC-SX-MM module for each switch, but please check compatibility before buying them!

2 x GLC-SX-MM
    2 x LC > ST 50/125 cable

It should then connect automatically once both ends are connected. If not, then check the cables are properly connected. Hope this helps!
    I'm not back there until Tuesday but want to order everything today. I'd just like clarification on "please check compatibility". Do the modules work with either fiber type? I was planning to order patch cables for both fiber types and then the two modules, then install the appropriate patch when they arrive.

Why are the modules so cheap on eBay? The usual website I order from (where I got the switches) prices them at €300, while second-hand ones start at £20 on eBay. Have people moved to 10Gb? I was planning to order some non-Cisco branded ones because they guy offers expedited shipping, or Cisco branded ones if you question the compatibility.

Thanks again for the help.

Thank Post
    I'd just like clarification on "please check compatibility"
    Make sure the GLC-SX-MM module is compatible with your switch.

Modules are cheap as they may have been pulled from existing networks (due to upgrades to 10G), or course a lot of companies are going bump, so sometimes IT hardware is sold online to the highest bidder.

10G is still very expensive and it's very difficult to max out a 1Gbps connection. If you can, then teaming is the next option, supporting upto 8Gbps, for a fraction of the cost of 10Gbps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread