+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, HP Procurve 10GB Network Backbone Switching in Technical; I wasn't advocating site wide usage. We put in 10GB/s links to our English/maths and Science blocks (and a 1GB/s ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I wasn't advocating site wide usage. We put in 10GB/s links to our English/maths and Science blocks (and a 1GB/s failover between the two) , it's only 4 modules so probably about 4k + OM3 (around 600 IIRC). Both areas (science) and English/Maths each have around 200 machines and access points in every classroom (20). Are you seriously telling me I should run upto 800 x 100Mb/s machines on a 2GB/s link?? - it would be the same as running 100 machines on a 250Mb/s connection. What I'm doing is essentially giving each 100 machines just over 1GB/s, which seems quite reasonable to me??

Thank Post
    a campus wide roll out of 10Gbe wouldnt get further than "pie in the sky" let alone approved as in most cases its not required (for example we had a fibre break and we used a temp wireless bridge without complaints)
    more a case of the core of the network needs updating and looking at various options open to use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    At my place we have the capacity for the 10GBe stuff for the future. We have a 10GBe link to our lower site when that comes online, that is it, we are happy with bonded links of fibre and copper to the edges. We feel that yes 10GBe is becoming more affordable but its still at a high price tag and bonding existing copper and fibre is cheap enough to do so its just wasting money in this climate to put al the 10GBe stuff around, it would be nice but having just done a major network upgrade with to our new Juniper LAN with the excellent, in-fact out of this world support from Net-Ctrl we can say that 10GBe is nice but very costly.

Thank Post
    We are however using 10Gbe in our iSCSI Sans and Servers.

Direct Cable connections are an awesome way to link servers to Sans or switches for under 100 per link.

The HP ones are here http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/q.../13286_div.PDF

The Netgear 3m is only 80 but knowing how HP block using non HP modules I wouldnt recommend using a non HP cable in an HP slot unless anyone here knows for certain that they work!

Thank Post
    i'd be really surprised if you need 10Gb. have you looked at current link utilisation? Show Interface on a procurve switch will give you % utilisation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfinlay View Post
    i'd be really surprised if you need 10Gb. have you looked at current link utilisation? Show Interface on a procurve switch will give you % utilisation.
    To be 100% honest here, this is irrelevant - network infrastructure being put in now would have a life expectancy of what? 10 years or more? So, in 10 years, will you be saying that network requirements will still be 1 or 2GB/s on backbones?

Thank Post
    By all means if you have the money go for it. Although if it were my budget I'd be aggregating 1Gb links.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    10Gb backbone is over doing it in my opinion! - a school doesnt need it!
    Whoa breaking the mold, someone speaking sense at last!

Future proofing aside, i agree with IanT, i honestly think any school would have to do some very thorough analysis of it's network and where it's going in the future years to justify 10GB

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12