+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Does anyone still use Shibboleth or have things moved on? in Technical; Hello, We currently have a few web-based services that require separate authentication, or use some alternative authentication method from the ...

Thank Post

Does anyone still use Shibboleth or have things moved on?

Hello,

We currently have a few web-based services that require separate authentication, or use some alternative authentication method from the DB users table, such as Joomla, MRBS, webmail service etc.

I was looking into how feasible it would be to use Shibboleth to manage the authentication of these services, producing a sort of single sign on solution.

Is this what Shibboleth is used for?

I have briefly looked over their website to see how it works but haven't seen how it is set up and where it finds it's users. Does it just use LDAP to find user accounts. Would someone be able to give a basic outline to the configuration and how it works.

Or have people moved on to alternative and more secure methods of creating single sign on solution for web-based service authentication.

I'm a little late to the Shibboleth party.

TIA,
    Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Atomwide still use it for all there services i believe as they host most of our LEA stuff.

3. Thanks to glennda from:

HodgeHi (8th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is also used by a number of other RBCs and LAs to smooth access into resources centrally purchased, or individually purchased by schools.

The thing to look at is whether you want to make use of someone else as the IdP to hook into the different Service Providers, or if you will run it yourself.

Chat with anyone you get services from and see if they are an IdP (such as AtomWide or the LA) and see if you can make use of it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Hello,

We currently have a few web-based services that require separate authentication, or use some alternative authentication method from the DB users table, such as Joomla, MRBS, webmail service etc.

I was looking into how feasible it would be to use Shibboleth to manage the authentication of these services, producing a sort of single sign on solution.

Is this what Shibboleth is used for?

I have briefly looked over their website to see how it works but haven't seen how it is set up and where it finds it's users. Does it just use LDAP to find user accounts. Would someone be able to give a basic outline to the configuration and how it works.

Or have people moved on to alternative and more secure methods of creating single sign on solution for web-based service authentication.

I'm a little late to the Shibboleth party.

TIA,
    Mark
    Swansea LEA use it across their domain for a single logon service.

Gareth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread