+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Proxy Server Challenge! in Technical; Hi Everyone, Basically I'm trying to connect an XBox 360 to the internet from behind a proxy server. I have ...

Thank Post

Proxy Server Challenge!

Hi Everyone,

Basically I'm trying to connect an XBox 360 to the internet from behind a proxy server. I have to get it connected to XBox Live to run an indie game called Kodu in school for a programming lesson. The problem is that you cannot setup a proxy server on the XBox.

I have found a solution but I want something a bit better. At the moment I have got a 3g dongle that connects to the internet. Basically to use this I setup a wireless ad hoc network which my XBox connects to and then I can share the 3g connection with the wireless network.

The problem with this is it is my 3g dongle and I don't really want to give it to the school to use. What I'm looking for is this.

I want some software that I can use to manage a wifi ad hoc network (essentially creating my own proxy server). However this software must allow me to channel the internet connection to that network not directly from an ethernet connection but from the proxy server I am already behind in school.

Does anyone know of anything that might/will do this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Why not just use a transparent proxy?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    How to configure XBOX Live through Ivacy VPN Anonymizer, proxy, web proxy, Anonymizer vkontakte, Proxy, vpn connection, anonymous proxy, vpn server, vpn dial-up, pptp server, pptp server, Pptp vpn, Ipsec, ipsec vpn, l2tp ipsec, l2tp vpn

Above was the best thing I could find, only other thing I could find ( not sure how much use it is ) was to change the DNS Settings but not sure if they meant to the proxy server or where to exactly ?

I personally would of thought it would be the default gateway to the proxy server so that it routes all traffic through the proxy server instead of from your server ?

I presume that what the transparent proxy suggestion means though

Thank Post
    This is a guess as I don't understand these things fully - can't you give it a fixed IP address and then setup the PROXY to allow all traffic from that IP on a particular port through?

Thank Post
    I need to look into the transparent proxy as I'm afraid I don't know what this is. I would be grateful for any further explanation but I am also capable of using google if your busy.

The problem is because it is a school network I do not have the access rights to change our proxy settings. In fact I don't think our school technician has as the entire Learning Authority is networked together using a variety of domain controllers etc.

This is the reason I'm looking to setup a wireless network on a laptop and connect the XBoxes through that laptop using it's own proxy settings that it uses to get it's own internet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    How to configure XBOX Live through Ivacy VPN Anonymizer, proxy, web proxy, Anonymizer vkontakte, Proxy, vpn connection, anonymous proxy, vpn server, vpn dial-up, pptp server, pptp server, Pptp vpn, Ipsec, ipsec vpn, l2tp ipsec, l2tp vpn

Above was the best thing I could find, only other thing I could find ( not sure how much use it is ) was to change the DNS Settings but not sure if they meant to the proxy server or where to exactly ?

I personally would of thought it would be the default gateway to the proxy server so that it routes all traffic through the proxy server instead of from your server ?

I presume that what the transparent proxy suggestion means though
    Thanks for the suggestion but I think for this your computer already has an internet connection and so can access the site/proxy. For the one on my laptop in school it's setup through the internet option -> connections -> LAN settings. I don't know if this will do the same job and I'm not sure what I need is an anonymous IP address.

Thank Post
    might not work, but have you tried using ICS (internet connection sharing) to connect the xbox to the internet?

Xbox.com | Connect to Xbox Live - Windows ICS Connection for Xbox 360

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Manton View Post
    The problem is because it is a school network I do not have the access rights to change our proxy settings. In fact I don't think our school technician has as the entire Learning Authority is networked together using a variety of domain controllers etc.
    My problem is that your School It staff should be asking this question not you.

We should not be giving advice to someone who is not the network administrator on how to bypass the school's proxy settings. Especially a brand new poster on edugeek - unknown to us.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 25th October 2011 at 09:14 PM.

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

mac_shinobi (26th October 2011)

Thank Post

Smile Proxy Server Challenge

Hi,

If your proxy server has your gateway(router)ip address configured then just configure the gateway IP setting on your XBOX with your proxy servers IP address.

It would look something like this:

Gateway Settings

Proxy Server Settings

IP 192.168.0.2
    SM 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.0.1

XBOX Settings

IP 192.168.0.3
    SM 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.0.2

It should work because the proxy server forwards onto the gateway.

I've used this setup to force the proxy on via DHCP and it works provided the dhcp client has the proxy server configured and the proxy server is local and is configured with your gateway IP address.

Try it let and let us know how you get on.

Good Luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JATSO View Post
    Hi,

If your proxy server has your gateway(router)ip address configured then just configure the gateway IP setting on your XBOX with your proxy servers IP address.

It would look something like this:

Gateway Settings

Proxy Server Settings

IP 192.168.0.2
    SM 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.0.1

XBOX Settings

IP 192.168.0.3
    SM 255.255.255.0
    GW 192.168.0.2

It should work because the proxy server forwards onto the gateway.

I've used this setup to force the proxy on via DHCP and it works provided the dhcp client has the proxy server configured and the proxy server is local and is configured with your gateway IP address.

Try it let and let us know how you get on.

Good Luck
    Suggest that will only work if your proxy is willing to act transparently. Which it may or may not.

There are other possible hacks, such as running a tproxy which upstreams to your regular proxy, but these are not for the faint hearted

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Computer_Expert thanks for the idea but that's what I've tried already. Unfortunately ICS doesn't pick up the proxy settings from the internet options.

elsiegee40 thanks for the concern and it's nice to know edugeek has a conscience however I'm working with the network admin on this, he's just not quite as proactive as I am. I'm also trying to get the LA ICT team involved as I also need to get the ports unblocked but the head of the local City Learning Centre is also working on that for me.

JATSO - That's an interesting solution which I'll try next week when I'm in school again. I'm not sure it's going to work - is there a way I can input the specific port of the proxy server. I think the XBox limits you to the use of numbers and full stops and I thought I'd need a colon or forward slash to do that.

Tom_Newton thanks for the idea. Is a tproxy a transparent proxy? Can I set this up on a laptop and stream the XBox connection through that? If not what alternative equipment might I need? Do you have any suggestions where I could get started from this - I'm far from faint-hearted

Thanks again everybody for your help.

Thank Post
    I've just come across a piece of software called winproxy. Has anyone heard of it? It seems I can use it to create a proxy server for my current internet connection which I think I can setup as the gateway on the Xboxes. I could then setup a parent proxy within the software.

Does this sound about right to anyone?

I found it here - WinProxy 1.5 (WWW proxy & mail server with firewall for Windows)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have an old machine with 2 NICs around you could also look at using DansGuardian as a transparent proxy. Your XBox connects directly to it and that then connects into your school network. As it will have the upstream proxy settings on it it will do the work for you. Some schools are starting to look at this style solution for allowing devices on their managed wireless networks to go out to the internet when they cannot set proxy details for all apps.

It is a bit Heath-Robinson, but can work.

Thank Post
    Actually, dansguardian is not a good proxy - as it relies on another proxy to do the heavy lifting - squid.
    If you don't need the filtering aspects (which in this case we don't) squid3 is a very capable, and reasonably well documented open source proxy, capable of acting as a transparent proxy. It is also packaged with all good linux distros, and some bad ones.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread