+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Virgin Media Super Hub... Need more switch capacity?? in Technical; Hi All Have had Virgin for about 10 years since the Blueyonder days and I have now got to the ...
    Thank Post

Virgin Media Super Hub... Need more switch capacity??

Hi All

Have had Virgin for about 10 years since the Blueyonder days and I have now got to the point where I must have about 10 devices all trying to connect into my superhub either via wireless or wired.

The superhub has 4 wired switch connections but the problem is these are now all used up with a PC, NAS box, Network printer and my Sonos Bridge.

I am about to purchase an internet enabled TV and require an additonal ethernet port on that. I can use it on wireless but would rather use Ethernet. Mainly because its going to cost me extra and if I have to spend more money I would rather invest in a switch rather than a dongle.

I need to understand whether the Superhub will support bridging with another wireless AP or router or would I be better of purchasing a switch and attaching this to the superhub. My issue is though if I did this I would need to purchase the ethernet over power and ideally dont want this option, it looks messy and I am just not very keen with it.

Is this possible with the Superhub? I have got 30mb broadband with Virgin Media and I am using V5.5.2R30 of the Firmware. Does anyone have any other better suggestions to my dilemma.

Also is there a limit on how many wireless devices I can connect to the SuperHub? Both my Superhub and Sonos Bridge are on Wireless channel 6.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My brothers one doesnt mind wireless bridging, however he has one of the newer models, I will check when he is back from his holiday. I know it works as I helped set it up last year.

3. Thanks to nephilim from:

ranj (17th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Why would you need ethernet over power?

Thank Post
    What I am thinking is I would like to buy a 4 port switch, buy one of those home plugs thingies. Use one of the existing ports in superhub, connect this to the home plug, insert other home plug downstairs and plug this into the switch. Would this work well and would it effectively extend the switch capacity? Or is the wireless bridge option better?

Thank Post
    Cable is best.
    I have a long cable connecting my Superhub to a four port netgear fast ethernet switch in another room. No problem.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    I've got a "super"hub with a normal switch plugged into it. Works just fine. Not sure about the homeplug stuff though - I've run cat 5 throughout the house and its paying dividends. My (non-techie) brother is a builder and helped me with the wiring while we were doing my house up anyway and he's gone from "What do you wanna do that for? GEEK!" to "Can you wire mine up for me?".

Thank Post
    I've gone down the HomePlug route, wireless is rubbish in our house and I can't Cat5 the entire house. I've gone with Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories in the lounge as that gives me 3 network ports for the PS3, Humax PVR and one spare, it also gives me good strength wireless N in the lounge for laptops etc.

9. Thanks to teejay from:

ranj (18th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Isn't the hub got gig ports?

Our superhub has Switch plugged in to it. 5 port belkin not had any problems

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    I've gone down the HomePlug route, wireless is rubbish in our house and I can't Cat5 the entire house. I've gone with Devolo 1409 dLAN 200 AV Wireless-N Starter Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories in the lounge as that gives me 3 network ports for the PS3, Humax PVR and one spare, it also gives me good strength wireless N in the lounge for laptops etc.
    Can I ask whether you use this via a Virgin Media Super Hub? Have you encountered any issues with your wired devices getting an IP?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    Can I ask whether you use this via a Virgin Media Super Hub? Have you encountered any issues with your wired devices getting an IP?
    I use Ethernet over Power with my SuperHub. I have a couple of these - http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-comtrend-powerline-hd-ethernet-female-kit-4Z2J.html

W
    orks great, much better than wireless could ever be.

Thank Post
    Just an update on this..

I purchased the devolo 1409 kit and it has worked brilliantly... Wifi is even better with the extended feature and now I have 3 Ethernet ports. Was so easy to setup

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread