+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Network cabling - unprotected, outside... in Technical; I'll prefix this by saying that I inherited this... We have some network cables that run out through a window ...
    Thank Post

Network cabling - unprotected, outside...

I'll prefix this by saying that I inherited this...

We have some network cables that run out through a window frame, along an external wall (NOT in any form of conduit), and back in through another window frame.

How robust are network cables? I'd have thought there would be water penetration over time, which, again, I'd expect to have a negative impact on the connection.

I'm going to have another cable routed from the same area, but hopefully internally - I'm trying to see if I can justify asking for the other cables to rerouted too. (If I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion, I obviously don't want to waste money on that.)

Thank Post
    What colour is the cable? You can get external grade cable which is fine to be run outside un-protected. Although not ideal as it's still liable to damage it won't suffer as a result. This is normally black in colour and feels a bit tougher than normal cable.

3. Thanks to maniac from:

duncane (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    'Fraid not - it just looks like the standard grey cable we use to route internally.

It's many, many, years old.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eek, that kind of practice is dodgey even with exterior grade cable. Water seaps through that interior grade sheith easily and the UV will break it down happily too. It'd probably never manage PoE and even if it did manage to negotiate at 1GB/s it would never actually transfer at anything near that.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Normal cable will last a few years but then it'll start to break down due to moisture and excess UV, as you've suggested I'd get it replaced when you can.

8. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

Thank Post
    We've sadly inherited something similar, we have a cable running out of one building, along a support wire and in to the caretakers on-site house. Don't see why he can't pay for his own damn internet connection to be honest.

10. Thanks to mrbios from:

Thank Post
    disconnect a few pairs and claim its been damaged they'll soon have their own connection

One thing I'm having to watch out for is degrading zip ties, our 7 or so year old fibre connection is zip tied to a 150m support wire for most of its lenght, after the heavy winds we started to notice large sections hanging loose because the ties had given way. They were all fairly thick & external grade by the looks of it. I ended up spending a day up on a tower during the summer hols putting new ties on. Even our oldest external grade cat5 links look ok though(when the gardener isn't chopping them up!)

James

12. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

Thank Post
    Ah - I inherited a few things like that too.
    The worst one I saw was DIY PoE (e.g split off the correct pairs and then link it up to a little netgear power supply, wrap liberally with electrical tape and hope for the best) running externally which was then terminated in an old fuel store room.

I've got rid of it all now... but it took a hell of a long time.

14. Thanks to pantscat from:

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone - I'll try and get the other cables done at the same time (they'll all need to follow the same route anyway).

This will be one of the few times we can do it - the buildings being decomissioned in a couple of years time. (Luckily I got new servers... admittedly that's because the old one's were flood damaged... but there's always a silver lining!)

Thank Post
    We have standar cat6 running outside to go across to the bosses flat onsite, however the cable comes out of the wall and goes down a small plastic tube, the tubeing is like what yu'd use on your bathroom sink kinda thing but it wrks it's been there for a while too, at the end of he tube it has been siliconed. The tube also goes right up against the wall so I think it should be fine if you replace the cable but put it through something like what we have.

17. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

duncane (13th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    We have standar cat6 running outside to go across to the bosses flat onsite, however the cable comes out of the wall and goes down a small plastic tube, the tubeing is like what yu'd use on your bathroom sink kinda thing but it wrks it's been there for a while too, at the end of he tube it has been siliconed. The tube also goes right up against the wall so I think it should be fine if you replace the cable but put it through something like what we have.
    You should still use outdoor cable as pipes can leak and flood etc. It may work but from a reliability standpoint its still a risk.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread