+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wired Networks Thread, Best setup for routing between 6 subnets plus internet? in Technical; Are you going to move everyone to a single AD as well?!! Also the router/firewall needs to be a comertially ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you going to move everyone to a single AD as well?!! Also the router/firewall needs to be a comertially supported product. You could also deploy a single web filtering system at the gateway. I would also route a managemt network to you system as well so you can manage the firewalls deployed at the other sites.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ideally you'd use a forest AD configuration. As you'd want to keep each site as a seperate domain in AD but be able to manage the whole AD forest if requred from the main site? I believe there's a few LEA's setup this way with their schools....

Thank Post
    I'm not sure about the speed of the connections - I'm hoping for 100mb but I haven't had quotes in yet. Linking the ADs as a forest may be an option at some point but the main objective is to provide schools with internet access, secure access to a central finance system, email, and possibly remote backup and linking phone systems over VOIP (depending on what connection speed we end up with). It's all delightfully extravagant which means that it probably won't happen.

On the subject on web filtering, it would be nice if each school was able to set up and manage their own white/blacklists. I figured a nice way of achieving that might be to route each school out on a different public IP and use OpenDNS. Another reason for the separate public IPs is that some providers of online material restrict access by IP address and they get a bit uptight if your IP is shared with other schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nutso View Post
    I'm not sure about the speed of the connections - I'm hoping for 100mb but I haven't had quotes in yet. Linking the ADs as a forest may be an option at some point but the main objective is to provide schools with internet access, secure access to a central finance system, email, and possibly remote backup and linking phone systems over VOIP (depending on what connection speed we end up with). It's all delightfully extravagant which means that it probably won't happen.

On the subject on web filtering, it would be nice if each school was able to set up and manage their own white/blacklists. I figured a nice way of achieving that might be to route each school out on a different public IP and use OpenDNS. Another reason for the separate public IPs is that some providers of online material restrict access by IP address and they get a bit uptight if your IP is shared with other schools.

Ok, I'd stick with my original suggestion then. Subnet your sites seperately then use a router + firewall + proxy at each site to route and control the traffic going between them. I wonder if a smoothwall box is up to this?

As for your public IP, it will all be natted from the main site. However there's no reason why you couldn't have each router/firewall having a public IP and routing each sites internet traffic out of its own public IP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12