+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Best Way To Create A Bridge? in Technical; I have been given a simple problem that has turned into a not so simple headache... The task is to ...
    Thank Post

Cool Best Way To Create A Bridge?

I have been given a simple problem that has turned into a not so simple headache...

The task is to add a handful of wired network devices (network printer, NAS, etc) to a wireless network.
    So I'm not allowed to drill holes through walls to run cable, and white trunking is a bit of an eyesore...

I am slowly running out of ideas...

First was to attach the wired devices to a switch and wire that to an AP or Router which can be configured as a bridge device but I can't figure out options that are needed?
    I've got one of each mentioned wireless devices and not a lot else, I don't really want to break the budget that's been set aside for other things, but I'm starting to lean towards getting a bridge device already configured for the task...

HELP!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The problem is that even if you create a wirless bridge, you are going to have to drill and run at least a small amount of cable unless the building/room is really, really close to a wireless signal. Wirless bridges still require external fittings and a cable feed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ethernet over power cable if its on the same feed?

Thank Post
    @, the range to the wireless is pretty good (as in through a floor/celing), and the walls aren't mine to drill holes it (let alone have anyone actually trust me with a drill in the first place!)...
    The way that I was planning to set it up was to have the wired devices fairly close to the bridge device so huge amounts of cabling wouldn't be needed, just a few short ones..!

@SYNACK, I've never really been a big fan of the ethanet over power since I was given a demonstration of how easy it is to get into by someone I worked with when we went to PC World one lunch break... But thanks for the idea, I'd not actually thought about that one..!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many users will be accessing the NAS box? You'd need at least 2 really good wireless access points to bridge if it's going to get hammered for large files etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MaceZ4 View Post
    The task is to add a handful of wired network devices (network printer, NAS, etc) to a wireless network.
    You could use a Plug PC (a PC small enough to be encased in a large wall plug) with an Ethernet connection and a USB wireless dongle:

New IT - Products

Install Debian (which most of them seem to come with installed anyway), create a software network bridge (see the "brctl" command), add both network interfaces to that bridge, join your wireless adaptor to the network and plug the ethernet cable in and away you go.

So I'm not allowed to drill holes through walls to run cable, and white trunking is a bit of an eyesore...
    Have you asked? If not, no-one's actually said you can't do it - I mostly find that if I turn up with a drill and look like I know what I'm doing people just let me get on with it.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    What wireless devices do you have that would help?

Normally in there settings you can configure bridging and give it the mac of the other side and then they start talking to each other.

Ben

Thank Post
    I've done this in rented flats where I couldn't start running cables through the walls. I used an old Linksys WRT54G flashed with ww-drt configured as a wireless bridge (plenty of tutorials online). Once the WRT54G was connected to my wireless network just plugged in my xbox/printer into it via ethernet and then they had wireless access to the rest of my network.

Peter

Thank Post
    You could remove skirting boards, run a router along the back to create a channel, and run your cable behind it.

There's often enough space between the bottom of the skirting board and the floor for one cat5e cable, though you may need a plank to compress the carpet as you feed the cable in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread