+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Can anyone help me configure my CISCO Catalyst 3560G switch please? in Technical; I have inherited a CISCO Catalyst 3560G switch which I need to configure. I need to change two Ip Helper-Addresses ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation Can anyone help me configure my CISCO Catalyst 3560G switch please?

I have inherited a CISCO Catalyst 3560G switch which I need to configure.

I need to change two Ip Helper-Addresses on two VLANs.

However, I am actually having trouble logging on to the switch to make the changes..!

Before we start, I have to say that I know very little about CISCO switches (going on a CISCO CCNA course in September to better understand them).

I have the Telnet password and can login to the switch. However, that is where I am getting stuck.

There seems to be an Enable and a Secret Enable password in our book, but neither will work and I cannot gain the necessary access to make the changes.

Can anyone help/advise please?

Cheers _Andrew

Thank Post
    When you say the password won't work - where are you entering this? Once you've logged on via Telnet, you need to issue the Enable command where it will ask you for the enable password.

3. Thanks to Diello from:

adhutton (10th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Password Recovery is probably your best option which should let you reset them.
    Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches - Cisco Systems

5. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @adhutton:

Here have a look at this: Cisco - IOS Tutorial

Hope this helps

7. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post
    hold down the "MODE" button on the front panel of your switch - this will move & rename the current config and let you in with a blank config, therefore no passwords will be set - in failing that pull the plug & as soon as you connect to the switch again hold "CTRL + ALT+ Page Break" as the switch boots up this will put the switch in recovery mode in which you'll be able to remove / reset the passwords.

Release the Mode button after approximately 15 seconds when the SYST LED turns solid green. When you release the Mode button, the SYST LED blinks green.

9. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    When you say the password won't work - where are you entering this? Once you've logged on via Telnet, you need to issue the Enable command where it will ask you for the enable password.
    I can log in via Telnet, but the enable password I have won't work. I have read somewhere that if Secret enable is turned on then the standard enable password does not work (???).

It may sound silly, but I don't know how to proceed with the secret enable password. I have tried the obvious like typing secret enable and pressing enter, but it doesnt work and just gives me an error...

Any ideas? I will read the other help documents which people have posted in the meantime.

Cheers_ Andrew

Thank Post
    if enable secret password is enabled then it will cancel out all other basic enable passwords because enable secret is encrypted

like I Say get the switch to login screen and hold the Mode button Release the Mode button after approximately 15 seconds when the SYST LED turns solid green. When you release the Mode button, the SYST LED blinks green, in failing that do a break request on the switch

Thank Post
    have you tried Cisco as the Secret password - you never know lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    hold down the "MODE" button on the front panel of your switch - this will move & rename the current config and let you in with a blank config, therefore no passwords will be set - in failing that pull the plug & as soon as you connect to the switch again hold "CTRL + ALT+ Page Break" as the switch boots up this will put the switch in recovery mode in which you'll be able to remove / reset the passwords.

Release the Mode button after approximately 15 seconds when the SYST LED turns solid green. When you release the Mode button, the SYST LED blinks green.
    Thanks for the info. That sounds very radical and something I would not feel confident in doing at present, just in case it 'breaks' lots of other stuff which I then will struggle to fix!

It may be my 'last resort' so I will hold that info. for now...cheers.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    have you tried Cisco as the Secret password - you never know lol
    I know what the secret password is (I think)...I just don't know how to enter it correctly. Every attempt has been rejected so far or thrown an error!

What is the correct syntax for the command?

Andrew

Thank Post
    you can't break it - the worst you can do is lock yourself out - which you've done anyway!

Once you've done it you'll be able to do it time and again, I've done hundreds! on the older switches you could break it by changing the Configuration Register which you had to do to change the password, but on the later models you don't have to change the conf-reg, thus making it harder to bugger up the switches - although note i haven't changed a conf-reg to the wrong value but no someone that has lol and they weren't a popular person.

If you get stuck giz a bell.

Thank Post
    enable secret-password IIRC .... always remember when configuring kit the "?" is your friend as is TAB.

Thank Post
    sorry not it's enable secret [password] on the 2950's so I imagine would be the same for your kit

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread