+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Wierdest of things this morning.... in Technical; I don't know what the hell happened here today; I'm still at a loss. First sign something was up was ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Wierdest of things this morning....

I don't know what the hell happened here today; I'm still at a loss.

First sign something was up was when I couldn't access any of the XenServers via XenCenter. Could however RD into each server with no issues.

Internet Connectivity stopped, but was fine initially this morning.

All the used ports on the Core Switch seem to Max out at 100% but general connectivity seem ok.

The Ruckus Zone Director seem to (in my technician's words) 'spaz out'. As in the Status light kept flashing red as it seemed to constantly reboot. I removed it from network temporarily.

Core switch was indicating a few 'excessive broadcasts' but nothing out of the ordinary.

Internet connection seemed intermittant with the provider stating there was no problems.

I've been running around unplugging and pluggings things back in, trying to go over what has changed - but nothing really.

The only thing we were doing this morning was using WDS to re-image some machines as per our usual holiday tasks, which we've been using on and off over the last two weeks with no effect on a network that was being used general during the school day.

Now, all seems well - settled down again. Zone Director seems ok again and is plugged back into the network and seems happy. Nothing now seems wrong. All is well again.

Most odd - not a good start to the holiday work; was hoping to chill out this year while doing all the normal tasks but this didn't help.

Ghosts in the machine this morning!

Pete

Thank Post
    Might be related I don't know but whenever I've used ghost or fog to do a large multicast image It always seems to knock the network about a bit. Were you doing a large multicast to several machines?

3. Thanks to bladedanny from:

FragglePete (25th July 2011)

Thank Post
    my guess will be wds as i have seen similar situation involving wds before.. are you using multicast session in wds? If not try it out there is some more details
    WDS Multicast Server
    how can I multicast an Image in Windows Deployment Services (Windows Server 2008) - www.windows-noob.com
    Microsoft WDS is eating my network bandwidth « VirtualPimp

5. Thanks to p3dr0 from:

FragglePete (25th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Could be as you say WDS, but it's never been noticed to kill the network like that before. More concerned as to why the Zone Director 'wigged' out - might be seperate issues but going to do a more controlled deployment tomorrow and monitor things more closely.

Not a good start!

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, today we experienced the same problem. All seemed fine until this afternoon and network just starting playing, more while using WDS but with only a small handful of machines.

Late afternoon while chasing ghosts, I took the decision to reset the Core Switch. Has been up for 104 days so I guess it's due a reset. It would appear this has solved the problem. The core switch is a HP ProCurve 5406zl which has had the odd hiccup in the past. Guess I look at updating the firmware on it this week.

Pete

Thank Post
    That's shocking for a HP product.. even our "consumer grade" (according to some on this forum) Netgear prosafe core switches have been up for 500+ days and still coping with beastly WDS images over multicast

Seriously Hope the firmware sorts it for you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Sounds like you don't have igmp snopping enabled on your switches - otherwise wds is broadcasting to your whole network not just the parts needed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread