+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Two Domans. One IP range. One Cabling Infastructure. in Technical; The scenario: I work in a school that is using a x.x.x.x (255.255.255.252.0) We are going to become an Academy ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Two Domans. One IP range. One Cabling Infastructure.

The scenario:

I work in a school that is using a x.x.x.x (255.255.255.252.0)
    We are going to become an Academy in the very near future and I have set up my new network (PDC, DC, Mail, WDS servers) all with static IPs using x.x.x.x (255.255.255.252.0)

The IP addresses cannot be changed as these are governed by our LA/ISP, without some (I assume) expensive kit that we do not currently own.

My current Mail server is x.x.x.2, and my new mail server is set as x.x.x.16.

My current domain has DNS/DHCP enabled and is still live.
    My new doamin has DNS/DHCP set up but these servers are currently connected on a dedicated switch, keeping them off my current domain.

At some time, I am going to want to start building my PCs (F12ing them and using the new domain WDS server).

What I want to know is, how, or even IS is possible to have both of my domains running on the same IP range and subnet mask, at the same time, on the same cabling infastructure?

I understand that I will need to turn off DHCP/DNS on my existing domain so that all PCs will start looking to the new domain DNS/DHCP/WDS, but ideally I would like to keep a few PCs "live" on my existing domain, and all mail still being sent to the corresponding email server.

Or, will it be a case that I will have to decide on a date when the existing domain will no longer be available, and just "turn it off"?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    What I want to know is, how, or even IS is possible to have both of my domains running on the same IP range and subnet mask, at the same time, on the same cabling infastructure?
    Yes this is possible and I'm guessing there's a trust between the two domains?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Yes this is possible and I'm guessing there's a trust between the two domains?
    Currently the 2 domains do not know of the existence of the other.

Is setting up a trust easy enough to do? Do I need to keep dns/dhcp on both domains?

Other than mail, dc and a TS server, I don't need to have any other server services running, do I? All I want is to have email available for emergencies, accessed via Terminal Services.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Creating a trust is straight forward: Admin Tools > Active Directory Domains and Trusts

DNS: Yes to both (make sure both domains can replicate), enter the DC IPs on each other
    DHCP: Yes, enable conflict detection. Set to 1 on both.

No other services, other than the obvious file and printer maybe as required.

Thank Post
    You really do not require any expensive kit to be removed from the counties network. We operate our own network behind a firewall that isnt controlled by the CC, using a piece of equipment that costs 300. If you would like more information on how to acheive this, please PM me. This is too try and remove our dependance on the CC so if we do also follow the academy route then we don't have to rush to find a cheap supplier.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread