+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Wired Networks Thread, Virgin's Big Red internet in Technical; Originally Posted by GrumbleDook Not for all lines they won't .. and we all know that BT have 100% uptime, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Not for all lines they won't .. and we all know that BT have 100% uptime, don't we.
    For fibre optic leased lines, yes they do. 100% uptime is their standard guarantee for them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They still might not if they don't manage the equipment on either end of the circuit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    They still might not if they don't manage the equipment on either end of the circuit.
    Then that wouldn't be a BT quote... ie. call BT ask for a leased line install. They quote 100% SLA.

If you go with another company, and BT are just a provider of the physical fibre, then they won't, no.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can buy the fibre and the use of / management of kit separately. You still have a contract with BT and with another company ... you can also have BT provide the kit at one end and not the other ...

There are plenty of variations out there.

And that is before we get into BT not offering resellers / Telcos 100% on the fibre yet the telcos seem to manage to offer 100% on the service they sell to you. It's all about manageable risk and being willing to cough up if you have to.

Thank Post
    Did/has anyone gone with the big red internet connection? The pricing seems good for the connection speed.

I have not heard great things about their customer service, perhaps that’s more on the residential side of things though...

Thank Post
    I got quote from them last year for broadband (and Big Red).

The cost was many k's more than the supplier (LUNS) we went with for 100mb uncontended.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i have had a qoute but tide in till next year with lea but the 100mbit line 1:1 is a good price pritty much the same as what paying now even 1GB line is worth a look into but see what happens next year i guess

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    I couldn't get it as not a virgin area. Although in the End we've just placed an order with Global AXS for 12.5k pa for 100mb on 100mb with Adsl Backup (so 100% sla but money back if its down). They are running over Talk Talks network and where about 6k cheaper then talk talk!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    is that a good thing though, glennda? I know commercial/home is very separate but if "talk talk" or anyone using their services comes anywhere near our building I'll chase them away with an IBM PS/2 keyboard!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    is that a good thing though, glennda? I know commercial/home is very separate but if "talk talk" or anyone using their services comes anywhere near our building I'll chase them away with an IBM PS/2 keyboard!
    Its talk talk for the last mile - it then ends up on Global AXS's network after. There is loads of info on there site about it.

It was either them at 12.5k for 100mb or TT @ 17k Easynet connect (who provide sky's service) @ 19K or BT @ 23k

I've also only heard good things about Global AXS aswell.

Thank Post
    Not sure about Virgin - no end of trouble with the connection at the prep & pre-prep schools (20mb service). Just signed up with Synetrix here at the main school for a 200Mb connection (symetric 1:1), with 1Gb between 7am and 5pm, for 24k. Connection only with the e-mail filtering bolt on, as we do everything else in house now. Doesn't seem too bad on price really..

Thank Post
    Talk Talk Business network is meant to be good, its called Opal I believe. You can't ever get in touch with them though, well we wouldn't when we tried to get a quote.

Most Leased line providers use someone elses lien for the last mile, we are with Global AXS and our last mile is BT fibre, Global have links to the BT exchange but the last protion is very mucha BT fibre in a BT tunnel/ vent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Talk Talk Business network is meant to be good, its called Opal I believe. You can't ever get in touch with them though, well we wouldn't when we tried to get a quote.

Most Leased line providers use someone elses lien for the last mile, we are with Global AXS and our last mile is BT fibre, Global have links to the BT exchange but the last protion is very mucha BT fibre in a BT tunnel/ vent.
    I've found that out before when our lines went down! currently our telephone lines are with Opal/Talk Talk Business (it is the same company).

Openreach are in on the 13th feb to terminate the fibers and do there setup.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123