+ Post New Thread
Wired Networks Thread, Procurve VLAN Routing Switch in Technical; Right, since I've been so mean with the budget this year and have a bit left over, I've decided to ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Procurve VLAN Routing Switch

Right, since I've been so mean with the budget this year and have a bit left over, I've decided to embark upon replacing our switches from unmanaged to managed.

I've settled on going for Procurve and with the intention of implementing VLANs in the future at some point (hopefully soon so I can isolate the current wireless network from the rest of the traffic), need to start considering a new core switch.

With this in mind (and hopefully moving towards a WDS setup in the future for multicast deployment) can anyone point me in the right direction of what sort of core switch I need to be looking for and what I'd be expecting to pay for it?

Ta!

Thank Post
    How is your current network physically laid out, and how much do you have to spend? . It really is an open book and pricing could be very little or it could be huge amounts. The number of fibre connections you need (if any) is one area that will add to the cost, as well how many ports you'd need in total at the core.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The network (in all honesty) is a hodge podge of all sorts as it was gradually built up overtime (like everybody elses).

Part of the point of replacing the switches is me getting some control and more understanding of it, while by upgrading to a 48 port switch rather then 24 port to increase the capacity available in the cabinet to get rid of the stupid ammount of desktop switches connected!)

Currently, we have 1x24 port GB switch acting as the core effectively, which has 6 servers and a NAS box connected to it, 5 switches (about to go down to 3 when I replace them), ISP router and then 3 currently active fibre connections running through media converters to switch them to copper. a redundant fibre also runs to each of the 3 other cabinets. Fibre is the old style, but can never remember it's numbers, is 62.5 right?

Budget would have to be cheap as possible, but would try and push for slightly more if we got a better switch (personally, the thought of paying over £600 makes me think twice, but that's my naievity in networking really and realise these things do cost a lot more! ) There's no fixed ammount to spend, it's just got to go in my pot with everything else so if it's going to cost more then I'll need to try and squirrel away even more next year (haha, should be interesting the way budgets are going)
    Last edited by Cache; 8th February 2011 at 09:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    The network (in all honesty) is a hodge podge of all sorts as it was gradually built up overtime (like everybody elses).

Part of the point of replacing the switches is me getting some control and more understanding of it, while by upgrading to a 48 port switch rather then 24 port to increase the capacity available in the cabinet to get rid of the stupid ammount of desktop switches connected!)

Currently, we have 1x24 port GB switch acting as the core effectively, which has 6 servers and a NAS box connected to it, 5 switches (about to go down to 3 when I replace them), ISP router and then 3 currently active fibre connections running through media converters to switch them to copper. a redundant fibre also runs to each of the 3 other cabinets. Fibre is the old style, but can never remember it's numbers, is 62.5 right?

Budget would have to be cheap as possible, but would try and push for slightly more if we got a better switch (personally, the thought of paying over £600 makes me think twice, but that's my naievity in networking really and realise these things do cost a lot more! )
    Well there are switches to work to every budget in HPs range, but if you stuck another 0 on the end of that you might be able to buy one of our edge Juniper switches at list price! You don't want to see the cost of the core switches

From what you've said it sounds like you've got 3 cabinets connected back to the core which also has its own switches. I'd be wanting to look at bonding those redundant fibre links using LACP, and getting a couple of copper connections to each of your other switches at the core. Unfortunately that doesn't come cheap. Even the HP fibre modules are around £150/each so you can rapidly burn through your budget .

I've had a quick look at some of the E and V series of HP switches and for the minimum that you'd be after (3 single fibre connections, around 40ish copper ports) you'd be wanting something like the E2810-48G or a V1910-48G. The E is the nicer switch with better warranty, but costs around £1300. The V is around £500, so you could probably get but only comes with a 3 year warranty.

5. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Cache (8th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I realise it's all huge ammounts of money, which is why when I've got this chunk of budget left I'm jumping on trying to replace the largest number I can within my limits.

Here's the stupid question time now (which is where I'm getting all confused) - if further down the line I went further with the VLAN's in trying to put the servers on a seperate ones from the workstations, is that a good idea and would, if a WDS was multicasting, the 2810 be able to route between VLANs (if it needs to?)?

Cheers Soulfish!

Thank Post
    £600 won't buy you a decent Procurve chassis...

I was going to suggest about £6000 On an 8 bay with a selection of modules

If thats all you have to work with do yourself a favour and look for a second hand GL chassis on eBay £500 will get you a reasonable 4600 with enough ports to get you going.

I have just put together a campus LAN design using 3 cabinets, 10 switches per cabinet 2 stacks per cabinet.
    Using Netgear it was £30k using HP it was nearly double, I didn't even bother pricing the Cisco option.....

Here is a typical example... Random website not A recommendation....
    http://www.dabs.com/products/hp-proc...-edg-4NP1.html
    Last edited by m25man; 8th February 2011 at 10:27 PM.

8. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, under £1000 I might be able to weave it out of my budget in various ways, anything above that then I'm going to have to go and take it to the finance commitee to justify such an expense (£6k would really be a hard task to push! Unless I build up a few more favours and call them all in at once). As we're quite a small school anyway, everything need to be done on a smaller budget, so just do what I can.

(example, it took over a year of pursuasion to the point where I had given up to be able to get smoothwall in)
    Last edited by Cache; 8th February 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Do an EBay search for HP Procurve GL

Happy days....

11. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    I wouldnt want to go second hand on a 'core' switch, could you not look at Netgear they would be much better value for what your looking for. Not as powerful as HP but can achieve the same goals for alot less bucks! Also life time warrenty.

GSM7252PS - might be a good start L2+ so static routing is supported (even come with build in SPF+ ports for 10GbE)

Then use 'smart' switches at the edge, they all support 802.1x for auth, VLANS, Static links etc so very capable and for the money very good with all ports at gigabit. If you can strech I would recommend L2 managed stacking switch from a core cabinet to you outer cabs but depends if the money goes that far.

That should get you a much faster network than HP would in that sort of budget.

13. Thanks to RobFuller from:

Cache (9th February 2011)

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    We changed all our switches out last year from a mix of 3Com and some horrible unmanaged switches to full HP ProCurve switches and implemented VLAN's, mix of 2910al, 2510G, 2610, 2510 and we brought a core HP PROCURVE 5406ZL - everything runs so much better now, in the core I have 2 fibre modules and 2 copper modules.

15. Thanks to IanT from:

Thank Post
    As Rob says, the Netgear is probably the best value per port and if that's all your budget can stretch to you won't go wrong with them.
    That particular model is a cracker, with the optional stacking kit you can add the matching 24 port fibre switch and you have the start of a core that will give most competitors a run for their dollar.

If you really need Multicast Routing (IP TV needs this) then a £500 license converts it into a full L3 unit or add the stacking kit and you can bring an L3 switch in to turn the entire stack into a L3 stack.

If I didn't already have Procurve all over my own site I would be installing those...

17. Thanks to m25man from:

Thank Post
    On a cheaper note you can also stack using standard copper ports at the front (not advised) or buy an SPF+ Active cable and stack at 10GbE for about £50. (The 24GbE stacking kit is around £250)

19. Thanks to RobFuller from:

Thank Post

pls help in vlan

Hi,.. i ahve liitle issue in configuring vlan in procurve 2510.. Please could help me in this... Thanks in advance.... :-)

i am configuring two ports port 5 to vlan 21 and port 6 to vlan 27, and port 12 for trunk in pro curve layer 2 switch 2510g... and in h3c layer 3 switch i have configured these two vlans and enabled port 45 gigabit port as trunk.. but i am not able to ping from one system to another... i usually worked in cisco router that too while learning and in packet tracer.. so hp is new to me.. please help me yaar..

the procedure i followed some of them i will show here pls see.
    in pro curve:
    vlan 21
    vlan 27

(eth-5)#vlan 21 untagged ethernet 5
    (eth-6)#vlan 27 untagged ethernet 6

(config)# trunk ethernet 12 trk1

in h3c:

[user]interface Vlan-interface 21

[user]interface Vlan-interface 27

[user-Vlan-interface21]ip address 21.1 255.255.255.0

[user-Vlan-interface21]ip address 27.1 255.255.255.0

and i have enabled trunk encapsulation and allowed all vlans... pls help me out... what i am doing io dont know.. may in commands confgn is there anything more in need to do.. pls..

Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Right, since I've been so mean with the budget this year and have a bit left over, I've decided to embark upon replacing our switches from unmanaged to managed.

I've settled on going for Procurve and with the intention of implementing VLANs in the future at some point (hopefully soon so I can isolate the current wireless network from the rest of the traffic), need to start considering a new core switch.

With this in mind (and hopefully moving towards a WDS setup in the future for multicast deployment) can anyone point me in the right direction of what sort of core switch I need to be looking for and what I'd be expecting to pay for it?

Ta!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread