+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Remote Access - How? in Technical; We are looking to implement a Remote Access solution for Staff and possibly Students so they can remote access from ...
    Thank Post

Remote Access - How?

We are looking to implement a Remote Access solution for Staff and possibly Students so they can remote access from home.

In the initial stages, the desired objectives would be:
    Staff able to login and have access to SIMS.net.
    Staff able to access their documents and maybe launch applications remotely to access them.

Maybe even, a full blown solution where anyone can remotely access and login and work as if they were at school.

Now, we are lost as to where exactly we can start or what is available to us. Some ideas have been thrown about like Citrix etc. Would anyone be able to detail out a possible solution for us, how we would go about implementing it and what kind of costs we would be looking at?

Also, any recommended companies that do this for education would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Re: Remote Access - How?

For acces to documents and things like intranets sites have a look at:

https://www.sshtools.com/showSslExplorer.do#licensing

Otherwise for full blown citrix or teminal services implementations I'm sure someone else will be along shortly.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our LEA is also trialling Sun One Portal.

http://www.sun.com/software/products..._sra/index.xml

Thank Post

Have been visiting this forum on a number of occasions but never left a post. Thought I could help you out with your request for a remote support solution so registered.

I was recommended a solution called NTR Support from a colleague who uses it to access SIMS and launch applications remotely. I have registered for a trial version at www.ntrsupport.com and it is proving to be a godsend. I have already saved myself a 45 minute journey to a customer site!

Just thought I could be of some help.

Good luck.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

NTR looks to be designed towards support staff remote fixing problems rather than user accessing documents etc... remotely.

Have a look at one click vnc for remote support.

Ben

Thank Post

We offer access to personal folders though our website - effectively we have a web page that builds a list of the files a student has in their area and lets them download them as you would any other file on a website. There is then also the option to upload back again.

It looks a lot like a windows explorer window and is not as crude as it sounds. Works exceptionally well and has done for over three years with out us having to have spent a penny on the system or the users having to install anything on their machines (other than a browser of course).

The beauty of it being web based is that it can be used anywhere by anyone without having to prepare - whilst on one suppliers stand at BETT I downloaded some info on one of their machines without any problems at all.

We do not use SIMS.NET but our eportal is available out of school to allow access to staff (and in theory parents and students).

Thank Post

Hi refering to Bens response, I can only say that I have been using NTRinquiero which I belive is now NTRsupport for over three years. The tool enbables me to access highly confidential files wherever I am. I am always flying between countries as I work as an IT Consultant within the public sector. I checked out applications such as VNC and was shocked by the quantity of open source hack resources that are commonly available, one only has to type VNC Hack into google to see what a security thread it is. the NTR Global system is wrapped within a 256BIT AES level encryption tunnell which is the same that is used by the Federal Buerau of Investigation within the US for handling and encrypting Top Secret Government files. I would also warn potential VNC users that using freeware essentially invalidates insurances given by hosting and security providers. If you looking at viewing highly confidential files over the Web then security must be paramount. I originally looked at NTRconnect a free tool by NTRglobal and then quickly realised that with Inquiero I was able to access my business PC anywhere in the world even by using online hotel lobby PC's. Check them out on www.ntrsupport.co.uk

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We're looking to buy a Netgear VPN box for approx £135 to enable use of SMIS .net remotely. For free secure technical support access I'd recommend logmein. Vanilla VNC isn't secure no. It's not suited to cross internet access - try UltraVNC.

Thank Post

Your requirements seem to fit perfectly with a terminal services or citrix solution. Both of these will be costly.

The most simple solution would be to implement a VPN for staff laptops so that they can connect to the network remotely. This method will mean that you cannot use applications remotely... it will simply be secure IP-level access to your network.

Thank Post

AFAIK, Capita do not test SIMS.NET on Terminal Services although I believe some have made it work.

Thank Post

Hi,

Have a look at the 2x application server. This actually publishes applications securely. The free versions includes support for 5 clients. Its runs on Windows Terminal services so you do need the TS CALs.

Still not bad for sims.net and FMS for SLT. Check it out.

http://www.2x.com/applicationserver/

Ash.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Your requirements seem to fit perfectly with a terminal services or citrix solution. Both of these will be costly.

The most simple solution would be to implement a VPN for staff laptops so that they can connect to the network remotely. This method will mean that you cannot use applications remotely... it will simply be secure IP-level access to your network.
    I'm interested in a Citrix system as I have seen it working well in a few other places and would be good for professional development.

Just so I can get an idea how much would a Citrix setup cost to implement, in total including hardware. And exactly what additional hardware do I need? In addition to what I already have.

We currently have 6 servers. 2 currently handle RIS, AD, User Documents, DHCP and pretty much everything else! Both are running Windows Server 2003. 1 other server is also running Windows Server 2003, it is intended for multimedia but not doing anything at the moment. The Admin server is running NT4, it is being replaced with a Windows Server 2003 system it also handles (will handle) AD for users on the admin domain, who access SIMS.net. The 5th server runs Windows 2000 and handles the the Sophos Anti-Virus management system and the very simple local Intranet and Photo Gallery. It is pretty old and almost out of disk space from all the Photos! The final server is a SQL Server that handles the database for SIMS.net. (It is managed by the LEA and so can't be touched)

Thank Post

Fof Citrix you need a beefy server (dual processor with at least 4GB RAM) for every 30 or so users. Then you need to buy software licenses for the users (including a TS CAL for each internal device and an External Connector License for each server being accessed from the outside world). The Citrix licenses are per concurrent user.

TS CALs are approx. £10
    TS ECLs are approx. £1000
    Citrix Enterprise License is approx. £120-£130

As you can see, it's not a cheap solution and that's before factoring in external connectivity and firewall gubbins.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SIMS .Net is fine on Terminal Services its just FMS that can't be used in more than one instance on the server!

Wes

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    For Citrix you need a beefy server (dual processor with at least 4GB RAM) for every 30 or so users.
    30 or so users? That's seems a bit less doesn't it? I mean, I'm looking at a potential 1500 users, does that mean 1500/30 = 50 Servers? 8O

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast