+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wired Networks Thread, Remote Access - How? in Technical; That's active logins not total user accounts....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Remote Access - How?

That's active logins not total user accounts.

Thank Post

I understand that, however, it still seems quite less, because say for example the night before an exam, or assignment deadline, I can just see students logging in, in their masses, 30 does seem quite a small number!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    For Citrix you need a beefy server (dual processor with at least 4GB RAM) for every 30 or so users.
    30 or so users? That's seems a bit less doesn't it? I mean, I'm looking at a potential 1500 users, does that mean 1500/30 = 50 Servers? 8O
    That'd be active users I would suppose. So do you have 1500 PC's to replace ?

Thank Post

@Zoom7000: Firstly, the 30 users is a conservative estimate. The actual figure depends upon the beefiness of the servers and the applications being run. Add another couple of GB of RAM and you would probably be able to get 50 users on with relatively light usage.

Secondly, you have slightly moved the goalposts by saying that you would want 1500 concurrent connections. 1500 concurrent connections on any network would require a MAJOR rethink of your network's infrastructure with multi-gigabit links to all your servers, load balancing across fileshares, HUGE server farms and more. Imagine how big the pipe into your network from the Internet would need to be too! (1500 * 256kbps = 384Mbit!!!!!!!!!!)

You need to also consider whether you could be expected to support 1500 concurrent users - would this ever be the case within the school on hardware and infrastructure that you control and understand... never mind across public phone lines and all sorts of exotic hardware?

Thank Post

Bloody Hell! I'm just confused! :?

Maybe we should start very simple and work our way up, thing is, the Remote Access stuff is totally baffling me for some reason, maybe it's the lack of sleep cause of my daughter teething!

Thank Post

@Zoom7000: The simplest thing you can do is stick in a VPN... no need to worry about new licenses and hardware.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you go with Citrix or terminal services then you will need fairly hefty servers but remember that most of the time a user sits at a computer, they're not actually using the CPU (look at the CPU time figure for system idle in task manager - at the end of a really busy day you're likely to find the CPU was idle for almost all of it - very depressing!) so I think the "multi-gigabit links" and huge server farm might be a slight overestimate! One of the virtues of Citrix is that it uses *very* little bandwidth (supposed to be workable over a modem link although I haven't actually seen that done)

If you can get away with just providing access to files (rather than applications) then you probably just need something like WebDAV access to user home folders. This then means that you're using bandwidth and CPU in much the same way as normal networks and fileservers.

To put some numbers in, on average, 500 students an hour log on to our network; this load is essentially spread over 3 fairly low spec servers (twin Xeon, 2Gb RAM, SATA hard drives) with either 100Mb or 1Gb connections between them and it all works fine.

It obviously depends on what people are going to do - if you think they're likely to be editing large photoshop images or video files then you'll have much more load than word processing, spreadsheets etc.

Thank Post

Hi

In my school i have just implemented a VPN using the Window Server 2003 built in feature. It didn't take that long to setup (the longest bit was waiting for the right port to get opened by SEGFL)
    We are starting to take in staff laptops and setting up a VPN connection on them (using the standard XP builtin vpn setup) and a batch file that connects certain shares e.g. home folders, public, staff drives.
    When they get home they just connect, run the batch file and they are assigned an IP and are part of the network/domain.
    We install SIMS.net (the main reason for setting this up) on the laptop in school and it works fine over it.

Apparently you can run a logon script over VPN using a remote KIX script but i am not sure on that one? Has anyone done it?

Hope this helps. It's not that hard to do.

James

Thank Post

You could always stick one of these in. Instand SSL VPN for less than £300.

Thank Post

Are you sure about that Mr Britton. It appears to be IPSec and PPTP (yuck!) and it's only for 10 connections.

If anyone uses full blooded VPN for MIS clients and such how many concurrent users do you normally have?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ITWombat
    Are you sure about that Mr Britton. It appears to be IPSec and PPTP (yuck!) and it's only for 10 connections.
    Hmmm. It was reviewed in PCPro as an SSL VPN appliance and given an excellent rating. I realise that 10 concurrent connections is no use for student/teacher remote access. I'm looking for something which can be used to provide remote access for primary admin staff.

Thank Post

I think that this is the link I should have posted.

Thank Post

Right I'm joining in now, i too need to do what Zoom is asking, but we appear to be going everywhere on this thread with no solution.

As far as i can tell the 2 main ways of pulling this off are either VPN or terminal services server.

Eventually we will be wanting to connect kids and teachers from home (probably just connect them to network shares), for now I just want to connect one user who is off and who wants to connect to FMS.

I am considering using Terminal services just for now (for the single user), Can i install it onto one of the DCs and the user still use FMS off the SIMS server?

Which route would you take?

Cheers

Thank Post

If you'er looking for a quick fix for one admin user - I'd go for Logmein or similar - doesn't take much effort and doesn't need any fannying about on your servers or RBC ports.

Thank Post

logmein-----genius, piece of pee to set up and is encrypted to boot. sorted, thanks for that.

Manick

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast